Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Prologue

Andy actually lost before the 1st stage started. If he has a good prologue it would have been a totally different tour............

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Percival said:
As far asd I am concerned the TdF ended in a stright up TIE.
Seriously? Andy Schleck was my pick to win from the start. He didn't. Contador won. It was a good battle, the better rider won. Excuses not necessary. I was a little unhappy initially until I saw the front-view replay after the stage and you can clearly see the chain angle before it jumped. The chain drop was a bad shifting decision. Even Andy says so. It wasn't a mechanical failure. It wasn't an unavoidable accident. It was "sh!t happens". Time to let it go.

·
Registered
281 Posts
In boxing, if there's a draw, the title remains in the hands of the champion. So its fittng that AC keeps his title for another year.

I have to say that AC was a brilliant tactician, grabbing 10 seconds here, 39 seconds there, all when everyone was saying he shouldn't have done those things.

Everyone said he would gain two minutes in ITT. But what if you're having an uninspired day?. AC wasn't content to just leave AS with a sizeable lead going in to the ITT. And his foresight paid off.

Looks like the AC haters are the ones with 'lots to learn',

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
AC is not American and he does not speak Spanish. Add in that he beat LA last year and he is the scum on the sludge of the saliva that Tony Hayward spits after smoking Colombian cigars lit by $1000 bills earned by fur off baby seals.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
That kind of sums it up!

Maximus_XXIV said:
AC is not American and he does not speak Spanish. Add in that he beat LA last year and he is the scum on the sludge of the saliva that Tony Hayward spits after smoking Colombian cigars lit by $1000 bills earned by fur off baby seals.
Funny - kind of sums up why people hate poor Conti doesn't it?
A whole thread with over 792 posts (at last count) was dedicated to that kind of vitriol - Lance Fanboys crying in their kiddy breakfast cereal wondering what they are going to do with all their Lance stuff now that he is history...guess they can wear it in support outside of the Grand Jury building. :cryin:

·
CEO Of The Internet
205 Posts
Maximus_XXIV said:
Thanks for clearing that up.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Maximus_XXIV said:
AC is not American and he does not speak Spanish.
In all righteousness, he doesn't speak Spanish but Castillian. :D

·
Registered
183 Posts
time bonuses would have been interesting this year too. considering that schleck netted 2 stage wins (though conti "gifted" the second).

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
not this sh*t again

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Percival said:
As far asd I am concerned the TdF ended in a stright up TIE.
Are you going to credit Contador the time he lost due to the broken spoke?

What about the gift Schleck got when by most rights he could have lost minutes into Spa? He did crash due to his own fault, no?

·
Registered
103 Posts
ugh!

I can't believe people are still crying foul. Isn't one of the biggest strategies in the mountains to isolate a rider so that he has no team around to help if something happens? This whole tour swung on TEAM tactics. AS was favored in the beginning because Spartacus held up the race into Spa (which probably cost Thor the green jersey if we want to talk ifs) and then again when Saxo attacked when Franks wreck slowed everyone behind it. AS had the team support then.

BUT.. AC had the team for the mountains, had the situation reversed, and AC was the one who messed up his shift, he would have had Vino to pace him back. AS was isolated as was the strategy! If Frank had still been in it it may have been different on that stage. Or it may have been different on the cobbles because his fall wouldn't have caused the split that Saxo took advantage of and AC may not have lost any time then.

Let's also not forget that AS was only 15 seconds behind at the top and AC was not pushing the attack until after well into the decent and once again team tactics worked in that AS had Vino sitting on and doing no work.

AC won this tour because his team was there when he needed it in the mountains and Saxo wasn't there for AS. And because Andy makes poor shifting choices (also seen in the TT and when they did the mock attach today.) This will be a great rivalry for years to come and I for one loved this tour and see it being great for cycling

·
Registered
255 Posts
Kvonnah said:
I can't believe people are still crying foul. Isn't one of the biggest strategies in the mountains to isolate a rider so that he has no team around to help if something happens? This whole tour swung on TEAM tactics. AS was favored in the beginning because Spartacus held up the race into Spa (which probably cost Thor the green jersey if we want to talk ifs) and then again when Saxo attacked when Franks wreck slowed everyone behind it. AS had the team support then.

BUT.. AC had the team for the mountains, had the situation reversed, and AC was the one who messed up his shift, he would have had Vino to pace him back. AS was isolated as was the strategy! If Frank had still been in it it may have been different on that stage. Or it may have been different on the cobbles because his fall wouldn't have caused the split that Saxo took advantage of and AC may not have lost any time then.

Let's also not forget that AS was only 15 seconds behind at the top and AC was not pushing the attack until after well into the decent and once again team tactics worked in that AS had Vino sitting on and doing no work.

AC won this tour because his team was there when he needed it in the mountains and Saxo wasn't there for AS. And because Andy makes poor shifting choices (also seen in the TT and when they did the mock attach today.) This will be a great rivalry for years to come and I for one loved this tour and see it being great for cycling
My version was mush faster and to the point.:D

·
Pedal Master
2,511 Posts
WHAT'S WITH THE WHOLE FAIRNESS BS DISCUSSION????? In any other sport, if your competitor blows a tire, pulls a hammy, loses a shoe, etc YOU keep going and take advantage of the poor sap. Mechanics are supposed to be in top form for the event as well. You lose...then chew your team'sazz for not having the bike primed and prepped properly.

Geesh...Nancies...sack up and ride!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts