Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I went to 23's from 25's, I got pinch flats all the time. So, I went back to 25's, and got about 350 miles without a single flat. Life was good, until recently. As one should, I inspected the tire to discover the source of my flat. I've had 2 that were caused by a tiny wire, which I'm guessing is probably part of a car's steel-belt from a blowout. Now, I've noticed little cuts, but those are normal and haven't caused any flats. I've read about those cuts here quite a bit too.
On my last group ride, I got another flat, and didn't find any source. Couldn't be a pinch flat, so maybe whatever it was fell out? The next day I rode, another flat, and still no evidence. On my last ride, the same thing happened! Everything seemed fine until I got home from work the next day and noticed the back was flat yet again! :mad:
This is getting a bit frustrating, so tonight I decided to investigate. I took the tire completely off and rubbed all around. The hole in the innertube was near the outside, so it couldn't be the wheel, but I checked it anyway. Still not finding any evidence of wrong-doing, I turned the tire inside out. I didn't find any holes or cuts in the casing. So I'm thinking, what gives?? My wife was asking me what I was doing, and I explained the situation. I showed her the small cuts on the outside and explained how they were normal. I showed her one, and then flipped the tube over saying that it didn't go through. Well, I was WRONG! This one was about 1/8", and barely noticeable. At last I found the culprit! My GP4000 has only about 500 miles on it now, and I need to replace it already!
Just thought I'd share my story, and frustration. I'm wondering if I went from airing up to 110psi, would I be better off going to 90 to help reduce the risk of punctures.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Frequent Flats are very Frustrating, to say the least.
I don't think flats are more prone with 23's vs. 25's as long as you keep the pressure up to avoid pinches. Pinches are more pressure related.
Inside flats you need to check the rim tape, valve hole, stem and sharp edges.
I'm sure you are good at changing a tube, and installation flats are usually apparent immediately.
Outside flats are luck of the draw, and are associated with road debris.
Good quality Tires and Standard Tubes are usually quite reliable, but we all get flats. I don't think you should slam a Tire or a Tire Size just because of a flat. You also don't need to discard a Tire with small cuts as long as the tube is retained or booted.
Having said that, I will probably flat on my GP 4000S's tomorrow.
Good luck to you.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I'm not slamming the tire, just telling a story. Now I could go on about mounting a Conti on a neuvation wheel :p

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Peanya said:
No, I'm not slamming the tire, just telling a story. Now I could go on about mounting a Conti on a neuvation wheel :p
I hear ya there!
Conti's will never blow off a rim, but they sure can be hard to mount!

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Boot it

Peanya said:
I showed her one, and then flipped the tube over saying that it didn't go through. Well, I was WRONG! This one was about 1/8", and barely noticeable. At last I found the culprit! My GP4000 has only about 500 miles on it now, and I need to replace it already!

I'm wondering if I went from airing up to 110psi, would I be better off going to 90 to help reduce the risk of punctures.
A small cut (with no bulges in the casing when the tire is pumped up) can easily be booted with a double layer of Tyvek (the white "plastic paper" from FedEx envelopes). No need to replace your tire.

I've never seen any data or had any experience that would suggest raising or lowering pressure over that range would influence flat frequency unless you're getting pinch flats at the lower pressure. From the way you worded it, I can't tell which way you want to go with pressure, but I don't think it makes any difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.