1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Bone idle wanker
742 Posts
I've got no problem with 2/then life on a second offense, IF they enforce the two year ban (can you say Frank Schleck?).

·
Registered
462 Posts
WADA is set to increase the minimum ban to 4 years for a first offense:

WADA set to extend doping bans from 2 years to 4 years from 2015 | road.cc | Road cycling news, Bike reviews, Commuting, Leisure riding, Sportives and more

It doesn't mention it in this article, but I remember reading another where several experts agreed that the residual performance gains can sometimes last beyond 2 years, and as a result 4 years should be the minimum. It obviously serves as a much stronger deterrent as well....

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
WADA is set to increase the minimum ban to 4 years for a first offense:

WADA set to extend doping bans from 2 years to 4 years from 2015 | road.cc | Road cycling news, Bike reviews, Commuting, Leisure riding, Sportives and more

It doesn't mention it in this article, but I remember reading another where several experts agreed that the residual performance gains can sometimes last beyond 2 years, and as a result 4 years should be the minimum. It obviously serves as a much stronger deterrent as well....
given the huge impact the change from fine to 6months first time to 2years first time, I find it hard to believe this will matter one bit.

·
Man, I'm Awesome
2,175 Posts
I say lifetime ban for first offense. Two year ban to any team members and managers. Minimum 1,000,000 fine to offender.

It has to hurt a little.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
Actually, as far as the length of the ban, I think WADA needs a little wiggle room here. If you get popped for an OTC cold medicine, do you get a 2 year ban? The number of prohibited substances that WADA tests for is pretty extensive, and in certain countries the chances of unknowingly ingesting them is fairly high based on what's in the food supply.

For blood doping, EPO, testosterone, and substances like human growth hormone, which are obvious and proven performance enhancers, I think 4 years for the first offense is a good way to go. That may not scare a seasoned pro from trying to lengthen his career a year or two more, but it would give pause to a new pro who would realize that he would have to get a real job for a significant part of his productive athletic career.

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
Vaughters makes sense here, and so does Vroomen in his comments on his own blog.

The important thing is to get juristiction away from UCI and national federations, who have been and still are most interested in the image of the sport, and not to reduce the amount of doping.
An independent investigation would have looked into Contador's blood profiles right away after the clen positive, something that the Spanish federation would not do. Having Bert busted for something that's "nothing" does not look bad, compared to being busted for bagging on a rest day.

Lifetime bans for first offense is a bad/no solution. Then we'd have no Waughters or D. Millar (obvious e.g.), and we'd be stuck with the omertaboys only.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Good article. I think he has some really good points, especially stop the blaming and excuses. That is not helpful at all and really just lowers the respect for the sport.

I agree that doping testing & enforcement must be at arms length from the sport itself otherwise the officials will be making decisions that best fits with the financial success of the sport.

Cleaning up of the sport really needs to come from the top down, those who the young riders look up to. I think this will assist with it becoming socially unacceptable for them to dope and more young cyclists would be turning their backs on trying it. Eliminating the pressure to dope along with the fear of being fired will help tremendously in reducing the number of dopers. Also, without the expertise of seniors teaching the young riders to dope, will mean that dopers may be caught earlier in their career.

I also believe that the harsher the punishment, the more society looks at an offence as being serious. A 6 month ban is nothing, even for those who confess, because a rider will consider the consequences of doping is nothing, so might as well take the chance. A lifetime ban or even a 4 year ban may make them think twice.

Will you ever get rid of all the cheats? Nope, but it would be nice to keep it as clean as possible. I don`t think there is any sport that is 100% clean.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree with an independent agency taking over testing. However, JV's comments about not going after some of these guys is wrong. If one of us got caught with drugs we would be criminally prosecuted. If we transported drugs across borders we would be drug runners and be criminally prosecuted. What is the difference between if we did these things and if cyclist did these things? Maybe JV should be the manager of the prison cycling team. These guys are not only liars and cheaters, but are also possibly criminals. Maybe it is time to really get serious and start criminally prosecuting these guys. I am still confused why the criminal case against Lance was dropped. Does anyone truly believe that if we were buying drugs, using drugs and transporting them across borders that the govt. would not prosecute us? Maybe this is the deterrent that would really make these cheaters think twice before starting.

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
I agree with an independent agency taking over testing. However, JV's comments about not going after some of these guys is wrong. If one of us got caught with drugs we would be criminally prosecuted. If we transported drugs across borders we would be drug runners and be criminally prosecuted. What is the difference between if we did these things and if cyclist did these things? Maybe JV should be the manager of the prison cycling team. These guys are not only liars and cheaters, but are also possibly criminals. Maybe it is time to really get serious and start criminally prosecuting these guys. I am still confused why the criminal case against Lance was dropped. Does anyone truly believe that if we were buying drugs, using drugs and transporting them across borders that the govt. would not prosecute us? Maybe this is the deterrent that would really make these cheaters think twice before starting.
Since the majority of these offences occured in Europe - would criminal prosecution not rest with them?

IMHO: First Offence = Four Year Ban, Second Offence = Lifetime Ban.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
As usual, JV is mostly talking about JV. I wonder if he's a nice guy in person?
Personally, I always found JV to be a douche bag. But i have to say, this was the best thing I ever heard come out of his mouth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.