Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came here as a MTB guy running a CX on road and liking the road miles a lot more than I thought. I've read and read and read til I wanted to puke. Got a list of road bikes down to a few and edited and edited and I keep coming back to the same road bike.

I tried not to post too many BS questions when I could find much of the answers searching. Now I have a subjective question and although it is subjective, plenty here have made a zillion mistakes and will have some good advice to offer.

I made sure I was going to hit road miles and not have it just be a fad. I used my Santa Cruz Stigmata for about 1k miles. Got some Schwable 40's G-One on her for winter and still on em frankly. Learned a little about fit that couldn't come from any other way than changing thing up a bit and riding it. I did a huge NONO (depending what side of the fence you are on) and changed my 110 stem to a 90. Fit just right. I feel the stigmata runs a bit big. I'm 5"10 6ft 1 or 2" arm span and legs are a tad longer than many my height. Messed with seat angle, etc...got that under my belt. Was a good experience.

On paper the Domane 6 (I am going DISC!! I am a MTBr) was IT! Tried out a 56 and it felt great. Didn't get to ride it much but it solidified my choice and my LBS I know well and he will throw me $500 off.

Something I still struggle to wrap my head around is how the geometry differs between my Sitgmata and the Domane 6. What do the differences translate to on the pavement? Botom bracket heights are particularly confusing to this road rookie.

Second difference, and it's going to be a big one.....Going from SRAM Force 1 10-42 cassette to Shimano Ultegra 6800 compact 50/34 11-28. I don't know my cadence as of yet but I did just pick up a Garmin 820 with cadence sensor so I'll be able to track that.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
145 reads and no response. It could be just me and its ok. But as an outsider coming into the road bike world....ahhh, you guys just aren't very welcoming. or maybe your all out riding....either way, ride safe, long, and fast.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
There isn't a whole lot of traffic on this site and most threads will sit for a couple of days before any responses. I don't really know much about those bikes so can't comment specifically. I've found I like my cross frame to be a little smaller than my road frames, but I use mine for racing and shorter gravel rides so long distance comfort isn't a priority. The Domane looks to have a slightly slacker seat tube angle so that fits with the marketing as an "endurance" rider. The one thing I don't like about that Domane is the press fit BB but I'm something of a retrogrouch in that regard and tend to stick with threaded BB (which I think the industry will one day return to as a standard).

In general I'm a proponent of buying good quality used bikes. Find one that fits at a good price at 1/3 of what you're paying for the Domane, ride it until you're tired of it and sell it for not much less than you paid for it.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Sorry you haven't got much of a response yet. There is a lot to unpack in your post. Now, if you had said you were on the fence re discs v rim brakes an internet brawl would have broken out.

I don't know the Stigmata but I have a Domane 6 SL. I'd guess the Stigmata has longer chain stays, a slacker feel and quite a bit more weight. "Slack" = less responsiveness which is important when riding fast in a tight group. Lower bottom bracket = lower center of gravity which also contributes to road "feel".

On gears: 20 years ago I rode 52/42 x 11/23 and I never used the 23 as a matter of principle. My Domane has 50/34 x 11/32 and, sadly, I've selected the 32 once or twice. Unless you regularly ride long stretches of 12% or greater you won't need greater than 34x28. I will say that the 11/32 seems a bit clunky. A road bike feels best when the cog differences are minute - that allows you to stay dialed in as you traverse minor elevation and wind changes, accelerate out of turns, or bring back a recalcitrant breakaway aspirant. The real question is whether 50x11 is fast enough. The answer lies in how big the thighs are on your friends' legs. Peter Sagan rode a 54x11 on Sunday - I'm just sayin'. BTW - if this should turn out to be a problem you can swap chain rings to 52/36 without great expense.

Which brings me to cadence. You have to teach yourself to pedal at 80 to 100 rpm. An over simplification is that MTB is about power and road is about aerobic. Road bike training programs break aerobic performance into 5+ HR segments, with extended time in each segment being prescribed. Exercises in which cadence of less than 70 or more than 100 are for specific purposes of power or speed development.

So, Stigmata or Domane? IMHO, you want more "road" in a bike that is not MTB. A cross/gravel/adventure bike is not a bad idea, but you can do most of that with your mountain bike. If you're going to start riding pavement you want something light and fast. The Domane is the least step in that direction thiat I would recommend.

HTH

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
145 reads and no response. It could be just me and its ok. But as an outsider coming into the road bike world....ahhh, you guys just aren't very welcoming. or maybe your all out riding....either way, ride safe, long, and fast.
Or they didn't know the answer (you'd have to read the post to know that). Or were polite enough not to give the answer I'm about to give. Either way, chill out dude.

Neither of your concerns should be a concern. Pretty much a waste of mental energy. BB height alone is irrelevant unless you're riding over logs (which you ain't on the road) or pedal though corners with a serious lean (not a realistic concern for about everyone).
The difference in gearing doesn't matter either because for a small amount of money you can change that to whatever you'd like with a new cassette.

What of course does matter is fit. And that's not something strangers on the internet who can't see can advise you on. Also handling. I'm not smart enough to figure that out for you but maybe someone can or this might help: Bicycle Steering Geometry

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
Yep, I was out riding yesterday. :)

Something I still struggle to wrap my head around is how the geometry differs between my Sitgmata and the Domane 6. What do the differences translate to on the pavement? Botom bracket heights are particularly confusing to this road rookie.
As far as geometry is concerned, the values you need to pay attention to most are STACK and REACH.

Stigmata: Stack - 582, Reach - 388
Domane: Stack - 591, Reach - 377

Which means the Domane has a slightly more relaxed, upright geometry. The Stigmata is slightly lower and more aggressive. It all depends which rider position you prefer. There is no right or wrong here.

As Jay said, BB height is basically meaningless unless you are on a mountain bike dodging obstacles (want a higher BB) or doing loaded touring (want a lower BB for more stability).

Second difference, and it's going to be a big one.....Going from SRAM Force 1 10-42 cassette to Shimano Ultegra 6800 compact 50/34 11-28.
I have the Ultegra 6800 groupo and love mine. Shifting is sublime, and chain drops are virtually a thing of the past with this set.

Depending on how many hills you ride, you may want an 11-32T cassette. If your rear derailleur is a short-cage (SS), you would have to go to a mid-cage (GS). The good news is that cassettes and rear derailleurs are both relatively cheap.

What is the chainring size on your SRAM 1 Force?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These replies have helped a good deal. Currently I'm running a 42T chairing with a 10-42 cassette. Thank U!

·
Registered
20,814 Posts
#1 Not a lot of people on here during the weekend. Try being more patient.

#2 Your post is really hard to comprehend. You know there's only one "?" in the whole thing. Try being a little more specific in what you're asking and you'll get better answers.

#3 Most people aren't going to know the differences between a Sitgmata and Domane. Maybe if you provided links to each, you'd save people from having to use the google to answer your question.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
What you're asking isn't simple and without links to the geometry, it requires a responder to do a lot of work.

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/stigmata

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-
road/domane/domane-s-6/p/1443000-2017/

Stack and reach are the two most important things to compare, with regard to fit. They both reference the center of the crank, so BB height makes no difference in the comparison of fit. Handlebar and brake hood reach differences must still be taken into account.

When riding a double chain ring crank with closer spaced cogs, you have to learn to shift 2-3 cogs smaller, right after shifting to the small chainring, so your gear ratio doesn't make a drastic change. Do the opposite, when shifting back to the big chainring.

Modern single chainring setups with wide cog spacing may work for MTB use, but on the road, it results in big gearing gaps, that will leave you in the wrong gear a great deal of the time, with no options. Even the 11-28 has fairly big jumps.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I read your post a couple of times and I'm not sure why you're getting another bike? You said the Stigmata ran a little big, but you fixed the fit? You could always just get another frame and swap everything over.

As another long time mtb guy, I can tell you that unless you are planning on racing the local crit, endurance/gravel geometry will likely feel more at home than traditional road geometry. As far as gearing, we're also used to bigger jumps between cogs, so I wouldn't worry too much about that, set up the range to suit your local riding. I run compact up front and 11-36 out back for example, but I'll likely go single ring on my next bike.

This is helpful for playing around with gearing combos:

BikeCalc.com - Bicycle Gear Ratio Chart

·
Registered
141 Posts
I read it, but the only thing I know about a Stigmata is that you can only ride it around Easter, so I guess that's why you want a different bike? Otherwise, nevermind, and erase my previous read.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I swatted the nest so I deserve some of the responses.

Overall the responses have helped me get a better understanding. I threw out all the background because if I didn't, I assumed there would be questions looking for more information.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What you're asking isn't simple and without links to the geometry, it requires a responder to do a lot of work.

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/stigmata

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/road-bikes/performance-
road/domane/domane-s-6/p/1443000-2017/

Stack and reach are the two most important things to compare, with regard to fit. They both reference the center of the crank, so BB height makes no difference in the comparison of fit. Handlebar and brake hood reach differences must still be taken into account.

When riding a double chain ring crank with closer spaced cogs, you have to learn to shift 2-3 cogs smaller, right after shifting to the small chainring, so your gear ratio doesn't make a drastic change. Do the opposite, when shifting back to the big chainring.

Modern single chainring setups with wide cog spacing may work for MTB use, but on the road, it results in big gearing gaps, that will leave you in the wrong gear a great deal of the time, with no options. Even the 11-28 has fairly big jumps.
I'm going to have a significant learning curve moving to a double and a front D. I just started tracking data and working on getting my cadence up with no bouncing from the hips. This is on the 1x Stigmata. The Domane should be in to LBS tonight or tomorrow. Should get some time on it soon.

·
Corey213
151 Posts
Post some pictures so we can see it when you get it. The Domane will be wonderful for exploring the roads around you and when your hour long ride turns into 3. It will also be a great bike to make that transition on from the stigmata. If you find the seat doesn't work, just try switching saddles from bikes and you should be set.

·
Administrator
13,010 Posts
That Domane disc with Ultegra compact and an 11-28 is nearly the perfect do it all road bike.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts
I'm going to have a significant learning curve moving to a double and a front D.

Yeeesh! These young whipper snappers who have never had to shift up front! :p

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,452 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She came in via UPS today. I was at the LBS when it arrived and got to unbox. I put put together with the store owner (1 Man operation).

To me, the frame is simply a work of art...wow! So sleek and mean looking in all matte black with gloss black logo. I am not putting any logos on with exception of the large main Trek logo.

Bad news...rear D was cracked in shipping and rear rotor bent. We were able to straighten out the rotor decently and the rear D works. Cables came in crossed from factory at the drop bars...not cool. We re routed cable and fixed it.

Trek is sending replacement parts overnight...and new brake pads as well since I'm using the bike. So that's cool at least.

The frame is a 56...fit is pretty damn good with the stock 100 or 110 stem (not sure). I'm still in the adjusting period...and I think the crack in the rear D is causing some minor issues. So I'm going to wait to give my thoughts.

I am thoroughly NOT pleased with the squish of the Shimano disk brakes. This is my first run of Shimano...i have a few mtbs...all are SRAM and all have disk brakes. I'm sure there is a learning curve and I need to get them good and firm. Overall just amazed at how awesome that frame is.

Oh, it's a little heavy. With ultegra pedals, 2 42 gram bottle cages...garmin mount and Garmin 820....cadence and speed sensor....18.42 lbs on my scale.

My Stigmata...is 19 and change.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.