Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Cannondale Rider
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...

I'm about to order my Colnago Extreme Power after I've been talking to one of the sale representatives at my local bike shop. My initial choice was to get a Pinarello Paris but he suggested I waited a few weeks and took a look at the Colnago EP, and I'm glad I did.

Anyway, this is my current build and I only need to decide on the stem and handlebar. I really have no preferences on stem/handlebar so suggestions would be much appreciated.

Here's my build so far:
  • Frame: Colnago Extreme Power (WX03)
  • Drivetrain: Shimano Dura Ace (Don't hit me for not choosing Record)
  • Wheelset: Fulcrum Racing Zero (Red spokes, black rims)
  • Saddle: Prologo Choice Pro saddle (White and black)
  • Seatpost: Colnago (Might be exchanged but but not to begin with)
  • Tires: Vredestein Fortezza Pro TriComp (Black)

Thoughts on my build so far are very much appreciated and also suggestions on which stem and handlebar to choose :)

Regards,
Jakob Laursen

·
Registered
287 Posts
Wheels - the Racing Zero is a very expensive set of aluminum clinchers. For the same price you could get carbon tubulars (Zipp rims) from Neuvation or Williams Cycling. Those same companies offer similar aluminum clinchers for a fourth the price of the Fulcrums. also consider used wheels on ebay.

Stem/handlebar - i have a Token handlebar from ebay that I am very happy with. They are a generic brand but the quality is good.

I am sure your bike will turn out great. Good luck....and post pics when done.

·
Banned
270 Posts
HazemBata said:
Wheels - the Racing Zero is a very expensive set of aluminum clinchers. For the same price you could get carbon tubulars (Zipp rims) from Neuvation or Williams Cycling. Those same companies offer similar aluminum clinchers for a fourth the price of the Fulcrums. also consider used wheels on ebay.

Stem/handlebar - i have a Token handlebar from ebay that I am very happy with. They are a generic brand but the quality is good.

I am sure your bike will turn out great. Good luck....and post pics when done.
Racing Zero's can bet bought for 1000 dollars . please tell me where u can get zipp rims w/ decent spokes and hubs for that price .. please

·
Banned
270 Posts
I can understand (but would never myself) put shimano on an italian super bike . It's even odder when you put campy made wheels on it . Also why do people discount using chorus ... Either way sounds nice .. just not for me . cbike have a 15% discount on the Zero's thats under 1000 from them... I have to make a choice between them and nuetron ultra's before the sale end saturday

also check out the new ITM 100% stem ... killer

·
Registered
364 Posts
For stem - I like to match the bars though that is not always the priority. Bars are a personal thing- whether you like carbon or aluminum, classic, deep or anatomic shape.
My favorite stem is the Rotor S1 though- light, stiff, cool looking.

Since you are going Shimano- why not carry the Pro Tour theme and get PRO Vibe bars and stem? Thats what I would do and get some DA 7850 or 7801SL wheels. They are quite aero for their depth according to published tests.

·
Cannondale Rider
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the inputs... I took a look at the M.O.S.T Lion Air bar and Tiger Light stem. Don't know how they perform considered other bars/stems but I really liked the design.

Don't know if it's a "no no" to mix Colnago with Pinarello/M.O.S.T ? Like it is with Colnago and Shimano :) Sorry for that, hehe...

·
Banned
270 Posts
Laursen said:
Thanks for all the inputs... I took a look at the M.O.S.T Lion Air bar and Tiger Light stem. Don't know how they perform considered other bars/stems but I really liked the design.

Don't know if it's a "no no" to mix Colnago with Pinarello/M.O.S.T ? Like it is with Colnago and Shimano :) Sorry for that, hehe...
Most people who buy Pinarello's that come w/ M.O.S.T switch them out . Your killing me w/ this build...But I guess thats the nice thing about building from the ground up . You get what you like no matter what other people may like

·
Banned
177 Posts
hed ardenne wheel set

Not to nitpick, but the ceramic bearing option is only available on the front hubs, not the rear. Hed does not seem to be completely sold on the rolling efficiency of ceramic bearings at this point in time. Nice looking wheelset though, and not as expensive as i thought they might be.

·
Cannondale Rider
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey all... I went to my LBS and talked with them about bar and stem. After a few minutes I decided on the Deda Newton bar and Deda Zero 100 stem, both in black.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I suppose I don't really understand the focus on brand names. Components like bars and stems should be chosen based on sizing and strength/weight/price ratio, not brand names. Bars and stem are personal: buy them based on reach, drop, bend, width, shape, rise, angle, stiffness.

Laursen said:
Hey all... I went to my LBS and talked with them about bar and stem. After a few minutes I decided on the Deda Newton bar and Deda Zero 100 stem, both in black.

·
broken old dawg
121 Posts
team_sheepshead said:
I suppose I don't really understand the focus on brand names. Components like bars and stems should be chosen based on sizing and strength/weight/price ratio, not brand names. Bars and stem are personal: buy them based on reach, drop, bend, width, shape, rise, angle, stiffness.
I agree here. However, factor in your purpose: are you going to race? Ride for fun? If race, ditch the clinchers and get carbon tubulars. Run the deda set-up or some of the others suggested as they are all good depending on preferences. If you ride for fun, keep the wheels (i love the look) and consider running an integrated bar/stem combo for the bling factor. You got lots of options to tailor it to your personality, so have fun with it!! :D

Good luck with the build as I like what you got so far!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.