Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Bunch of 'em around here; people love them.

I'm in Reno, where DS builds his frames, and you see a ton of them on the road around here. The only one I've ridden was about eight centimeters too small for me, so I can't really evaluate it, but I've never heard a single complaint.
I was on the verge of ordering one a couple of years ago, but I had one kid in college and another about to start and I came to my senses when the shop gave me the total (actually my wife came to my senses...there's nothing like, "That's a whole semester of school" to make you think twice about writing a big check).
FWIW, Roland did some frame repairs, tube replacements and dropout swaps, for friends of mine several years ago, and he did a beautiful job. Don't know if he fools with that small stuff anymore.

·
Nothing runs like a Deere
6 Posts
Jed Peters said:
Are they really the "Holy Grail" of frames? That good?

Better than say, a Soulcraft, Sycip, etc?
Jed:

I have owned a Della Santa Corsa Speciale since the early 1990's. Made of Columbus SLX tubing it is heavy by today's standards. But the bike gives you a custom fit and it is extremely stable. You can also order a custom raked fork to suit your riding preferences.
Happy hunting.
Rgds,
Frank

·
aka Zonic Man
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Frank, are you really happy with it?

The reason I ask is becasue we are looking to go up to Reno and have Roland himself fit my wife, and select all tubing and what not for her after we go on a ride with him and he sees her.

There's also Steve Rex in my town, but hasn't been at it quite as long as Della Santa.....

·
Nothing runs like a Deere
6 Posts
Jed Peters said:
Frank, are you really happy with it?

The reason I ask is becasue we are looking to go up to Reno and have Roland himself fit my wife, and select all tubing and what not for her after we go on a ride with him and he sees her.

There's also Steve Rex in my town, but hasn't been at it quite as long as Della Santa.....
Jed, I am very happy with my Della Santa. It still is my favorite for a century ride because it fits me so well. The fork is raked a bit more making it very predictable. Cinelli lugs and crown make it a classic and I do get comments from time to time. It's not fancy but timeless. Soverign blue with white decals.

Don't rule out Steve Rex. There are a lot of beautiful Rex bikes around and they deserve a look at. The fillet brazed frames are gorgeous! I've never ridden one, but you can go custom there as well.
Rgds,
Frank

·
Registered
8 Posts
Della Santa and Rex

Jed,

I own a custom Rex Foco compact and have a Della Santa on order, although I've never ridden a DS before. Both are fantastic builders and you can't go wrong with either. I think it comes down to a matter of aesthetics (fillet brazing vs. lug brazing), as both bikes will fit and ride superbly and they are both priced similarly.

You certainly shouldn't discount Steve Rex, especially if he is local to you. He's been building custom bikes for more than 10 years and he certainly knows how to design and build a wonderful steel bike. I own numerous steel bikes from better known builders (Richard Sachs, Peter Weigle, Serotta, etc.) and can attest that my Rex rides just as superbly as those bikes. My Rex is very light, yet stiff and agile. This this to take _nothing_ away from Roland Della Santa, who is a wonderful, wonderful builder and human being. Roland will generously spend hours with you on the phone regaling you with old racing stories. You really can't go wrong either way!

Take care,

·
aka Zonic Man
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FlaRider said:
Jed,

I own a custom Rex Foco compact and have a Della Santa on order, although I've never ridden a DS before. Both are fantastic builders and you can't go wrong with either. I think it comes down to a matter of aesthetics (fillet brazing vs. lug brazing), as both bikes will fit and ride superbly and they are both priced similarly.

You certainly shouldn't discount Steve Rex, especially if he is local to you. He's been building custom bikes for more than 10 years and he certainly knows how to design and build a wonderful steel bike. I own numerous steel bikes from better known builders (Richard Sachs, Peter Weigle, Serotta, etc.) and can attest that my Rex rides just as superbly as those bikes. My Rex is very light, yet stiff and agile. This this to take _nothing_ away from Roland Della Santa, who is a wonderful, wonderful builder and human being. Roland will generously spend hours with you on the phone regaling you with old racing stories. You really can't go wrong either way!

Take care,
Thanks a ton. I actually have the ability to see either of them in person, as I'm only 15 minutes from Rex and 2 hours from Roland.

Roland just told me he'd build the bike with a carbon fork, too. That's too cool....

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Here's one for you Jed...

I am lucky enough to own one of each. The Steve Rex is a Foco steel with carbon rear stay (the only one he built) Dura Ace, Ksyriums, Ouzo Pro fork. It is a really nice ride.

The DS is a '97 Genius tubed beauty. I stuck a nice carbon fork on it and am running Chorus group with Record/OP wheelset. It is also a really nice ride.

hummm, which do I prefer? I ride the DS easily ten to one mileagewise over the Rex. Why? I dunno, that's just the way it is. Every time I jump on the Rex I wonder why I don't ride it more. Then the next time I go for a ride I grab the DS.

·
aka Zonic Man
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rwbadley said:
hummm, which do I prefer? I ride the DS easily ten to one mileagewise over the Rex. Why? I dunno, that's just the way it is. Every time I jump on the Rex I wonder why I don't ride it more. Then the next time I go for a ride I grab the DS.
That's probably the most telling thing right there.

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Fla rider...

Is your DS an orange one? I was over at Rolands the other day and saw a gorgeous orange pearl beauty. He has another in the works that looks like a larger frame with round cutouts in the lugs.

·
aka Zonic Man
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RW: I think we're going to go up sat. at about 2:00 to Reno to have Suzy get fit. We'll see then about her sizing.

I REALLY need to see more pictures of your bike...the detailing, etc.

If you need to email them to me (please) email [email protected]

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
I don't have more (detailed) on file, but here's one more...

He does nice work on the lugs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
rwbadley said:
Is your DS an orange one? I was over at Rolands the other day and saw a gorgeous orange pearl beauty. He has another in the works that looks like a larger frame with round cutouts in the lugs.
My DS is probably being built as we speak. I've opted to paint the frame silver with blue panels and lettering. Here's link to some DS pics that Roland sent over. There are pics of two gorgeous orange bikes, a cool metallic purple bike and the silver/blue scheme I have selected. Enjoy.

http://www.dellasanta.com/photos/

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Jed Peters said:
Are they really the "Holy Grail" of frames? That good?

Better than say, a Soulcraft, Sycip, etc?
I like Della Santa for his experience/historys, etc. If I wanted lugs he'd be on my short list. I like Sycip for their crazy art-student-like approach and their inovation. I like Soulcraft for their super solid, bulletproof approach to bike building, their custom tube spec and the experience the bring from years of building frames for Salsa. I don't think you could say one is better than another. It's a question of what floats your boat. If you happen to live closer to one of them and can visit that shop, that would be a plus.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey RW.......

Any chance of sending some close-ups on the Rex? Steve is on my short list as I am looking for a fillet brazed frame. Thanks in advance. Regards, Jeff

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Rex BB and head tube

I had some other photos, but they appear to have been displaced, sorry. This will give you an idea, Steve does some really nice work.

·
Registered
777 Posts
LadyDog said:
Any chance of sending some close-ups on the Rex? Steve is on my short list as I am looking for a fillet brazed frame. Thanks in advance. Regards, Jeff
He was profiled in the "Torchbearers" section of a recent (Fall '03, I think) edition of Asphalt. If you wan to know more about Rex, and see some stunning pictures of Steve's phenomenal work, it's worth the 7 bucks. I've seen a few Rex bikes, and they've all been outstanding. I'm a lug guy, but the stable will need a fillet brazed bike some day. It'll probably be a either a Steve Rex or a Tesch S-22.

As an aside, Asphalt is one of the two best road bike magazines I've seen since Bicycle Guide went under. The Rivendell Reader is the other. Totaly different emphasis, of course, but both are magazines of great quality. Makes sense, 'cuz the editor was a writer for BG. They've got Maynard Herschon and Owen Mullholland <!> writing for them, too. Pricey, and only a quarterly, but worth it, IMHO.

--Shannon

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
A pleasure...

to meet you and Mrs. Jed. Did you get the bike fit all sorted out?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts