Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Rodie Persona
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently having a steel DeSalvo built and considering a new wheelset as well. I am currently riding a set of Reynolds Alta Comp. They have a pretty deep v rim, 20 radial non-bladded spokes on the front, 24 radial non-drive side and 2 cross drive side non-bladded rear spokes, and are pretty darn fast. I have had a rear spoke break twice and with the low spoke count the wheel is drastically our of true when missing a spoke. Additionally the ride is pretty stiff with the deep v rims.

I ride long rides 100-200 miles and want to start working on a full brevet series (200km, 300km, 400km, 600km, 1,200km). So I want a comfortable wheel with a higher spoke count. These will be my only wheelset as well.

So here is the proposed build:
Front Hub: Shimano Ultegra 28 hole
Rear Hub: Shimano Dura Ace 28 hole
Front Rim: Velocity Aerohead 28 hole
Rear Rim: Velocity Aerohead O/C 28 hole
Spokes: DT Revolution 14/17 gauge 3 cross all around
Nipples: Alloy

According to Excel online custom wheel builder the weight should be 807 grams and cost $473. I am a firm believer in saving money on a front hub as it really is not that complex. For instance the Ultegra front hub versus Dura-Ace is 13 grams difference and $70 less (that's like $5.38 per gram). I would rather focus on spokes where the difference between 14/15 gauge spoke and 14/17 spokes is 37 grams for only $1.12 more.

My big questions are:
1) Thoughts on the overall build for the intended purpose?
2) Thoughts on the rim and hub selection?

· Registered
3,270 Posts
You might consider the following to add some strength:
Spokes: DT Comps on the DS rear
Nipples: Brass front and rear, at least on the DS rear.

You don't mention your weight, so I assume you have decided/confirmed that 28 spokes on both wheels is OK for you, even so, you might want to consider 32 on the rear as it reall won't add too much to the weight. The velocity areoheads make nice wheels, the OC rear seems to work well on the couple of sets I have.

· Rodie Persona
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brad, thanks for the response. I weigh 170-175 depending on the day and hydration levels. i am not 100% committed to any piece of the proposed build. I wondered about the 32 hole in the rear. Why the recommendation for brass nipples? The only advantage I have heard is that brass nipples will not seize up like alloys can. I have not heard they add strength.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
Aluminum nipples will eventually corrode to the spoke if they get wet/salty and they aren't coated to prevent this. Brass nipples are stronger besides being more corrosion resistant... they just weigh 3 times as much. 32 spokes in the rear and heavier DS spokes are both good ideas. I'd even go with a non-OC rear rim since there have been a fair number of issues with OC rims cracking.

Regarding spoke breakage on a ride... carry a spoke wrench and loosen the neighboring spokes to get home.

· Rodie Persona
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recalculated to include a 32 hole rear hub, 14/15 rear DS spoke, but stayed with alloy nipples. New weight 1,366 grams a difference of 559 grams. Don't get me wrong, I am not a weight weenie but really notice the difference in a light set of wheels.

· Rodie Persona
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The weight provided on the Excel custom wheel building site. The weight does seem pretty darn low.

EDIT: Bonehead award. You know some times in life it really does help to read all the information provided. The weights I was quoting are the rear wheel alone. The front wheel is 760 grams. So total weight for 28 front rear is 1,567 grams and the 28 front / 32 rear is 2,156 grams, with a difference of 589 grams (1.3 pounds).

· passive/aggressive
236 Posts
I built a set of similar wheels with ultegra hubs (32h) on DT swiss R1.1 rims with 32 DT swiss comp spokes 3x with brass nipples and they are ~1750gr on my ultimate scale without skewers. So something is amiss in the EXCEL builder as I built a comparable wheelset but without revolutions, alloy nips and 4 less spokes.

BTW I have been riding these wheels for ages with nary a complaint both on a road bike and a CX bike. Bomber and great training/commuting wheels.

· Rodie Persona
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thoughts on the Shimano hubs versus say a DT Swiss 240S? And the Velocity rim versus the time honored Mavic Open Pro?

· Rodie Persona
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rruff said:
I'd vote for Shimano (considering price) and Velocity. The Velocity rims can be had in bright silver and gold too...
:) You speak to my vain side. Yes I did want a silver wheel to match all the other silver bits I will be using.

The weight difference came from going from a 28 rear wheel to a 32 wheel with a 14/15 gauge drive side spoke.

· Registered
3,270 Posts
MTBMaven: Alloy vs. Brass nipples. I suggested brass based on the use you are going to make of these wheels, brass is more durable. I've had alloy nipples break where they enter the rim.....not something you want to happen on one of your long brevets. For the type of riding you are doing with these wheels, the extra weight would hardly be noticed.

· Rodie Persona
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rruff said:
4 extra spokes ~4.7g x 4 = 18.8g
16 heavier spokes ~1.5g x 16 = 24g

So ~43g difference in reality.
Yeah there seems to be some interesting number coming from the Excel calculator. Plus I have noticed discrepancies between the number quoted in the wheel builder and the product page. Difference of only 20 grams or so but if there is a few grams per spoke for instance that can really misrepresent the total wheel weight. I will try the wheel build on Universal Cycles or other programs on the web and see what numbers I get.

· Rodie Persona
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cdhbrad said:
MTBMaven: Alloy vs. Brass nipples. I suggested brass based on the use you are going to make of these wheels, brass is more durable. I've had alloy nipples break where they enter the rim.....not something you want to happen on one of your long brevets. For the type of riding you are doing with these wheels, the extra weight would hardly be noticed.
This is a reoccurring theme from several sources. I will be highly consider brass nipples.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.