Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I inherited a kestrel 200sci that is in severe need of a paint job.

I need some input on what color i should go with when i get it repainted.

I am leaning toward a single color. Maybe a candy or possibly even a flat. Off the top of my head I was kicking around orange, maybe a light blue. The other option is to white out the entire bike.

Any suggestions?

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
My .02

If you look at custom bike galleries, one of the trends you will notice are some paint jobs that are pretty far out there. IMO, this happens because it's the one thing that the buyer has complete control over & they want something unique.....& they end up going over the top.

If it;s me, I believe less is more........so keep it simple. Look at some on line galleries (serotta's forum gallery is really good because there are many customs in there and some you will like immediatly, some you will hate immediatly) to get some ideas.

remember, you have to live with this for a while.

If you want to see what not to do (for the most part) look at the landshark gallery.

Obviously, YMMV

Len

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
I alway thought this made a statement though I'm not sure what kind. I think it's a street rod thing.

·
Satanic Watch Winder
4,839 Posts
I always thought this made a statement though I'm not sure what kind. I think it's a street rod vibe. I have an old Look that's all black with custom clear coat. The only logo on the bike is the white LOOK logo on the black fork.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Orange would be fairly unique....a positive in my book, but it's a trendy color, which would be a strike against it. it might look very 2007-2009 in about 5 years. buit if you love orange - who cares - it's your bike. a metallic deep orange would be cool with black components and some accents of white - maybe in the decals

I like the advice of "less is more"

I wouldn't get light blue - but that's my bias. my first 10 speed in the 70's was a JC Penney model that was light blue. been there, done that :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
This orange is NICE!! it has a pearl through it you notice when up close.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
+1 on Orange (metallic)

I've been dreaming of redoing my Master Piu (sacrilege!) ever since I saw this Colnago on eBay!

Love the yellow decals too...

White tape and seat and you have the Creamsicle-mobile

(Paintjob was by CycleArt)

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
That's a pretty metallic orange. My personal favorite though - go look at the link to the red, chrome & white Bottecchia in the retro-classic section.

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
OK so if Ti color is not your thing, I also like orange..... Eddy Orange.
My other Ti bike is steel.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

I think i am sold on a pearlescent orange with silver accents similar to the nago above but a little more on the tangerine side. I'll pass on the decals since they aren't paying me to ride their bike.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Looks pretty sweet.

paredown said:
+1 on Orange (metallic)

I've been dreaming of redoing my Master Piu (sacrilege!) ever since I saw this Colnago on eBay!

Love the yellow decals too...

White tape and seat and you have the Creamsicle-mobile

(Paintjob was by CycleArt)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Peanya said:
That's a pretty metallic orange. My personal favorite though - go look at the link to the red, chrome & white Bottecchia in the retro-classic section.
I am currently rocking a red white and blue paramount. Its a really sweet look but would be out of place on a kestrel

·
your god hates me
1,551 Posts
Len J said:
My .02

If you look at custom bike galleries, one of the trends you will notice are some paint jobs that are pretty far out there. IMO, this happens because it's the one thing that the buyer has complete control over & they want something unique.....& they end up going over the top.

If it;s me, I believe less is more........so keep it simple. Look at some on line galleries (serotta's forum gallery is really good because there are many customs in there and some you will like immediatly, some you will hate immediatly) to get some ideas.

remember, you have to live with this for a while.

If you want to see what not to do (for the most part) look at the landshark gallery.

Obviously, YMMV

Len

Lest anyone think LenJ is just blowin' smoke, I proudly confess that I have a photo of his bike as the wallpaper on my computer! It is gorgeous, the epitome of a tastefully artful paintjob, subtle yet deep. It speaks to me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts