Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand new to fixed gear riding and going to purchase one. I'm not able to build one myself but would like one with fenders for comuting. Money is a consideration but not the most important. Any thoughts on the fixed gear bike Rivendell is offering? Desired frame size 58 - 60.

·
Endure26
175 Posts
Rivendell and Grant Peterson have a cult following. IMO the Riv Quickbeam is overpriced when compared to other fixed-gear completes on the market.

If you want a canti- equipped fixie like the QB, check out the Bianchi San Jose (a fraction of the cost of a Riv), the On One Il Pompino, or the Surly Cross Check (can be built geared or fixed).

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Only seen one, never ridden one.

So this is a totally subjective opinion. It's very show-offy. Craftsmanship looks wasted to me on what I think of as an industrial type bike.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
I agree with the above opinions. They charge a bunch of money for a bike and a philosophy. There are many steel fixed gear bikes out there for a fraction of the price including Kogswell, Lemond Fillmore, Milwaukee, Soma,etc.

·
Roadbike Rider
1,260 Posts
More upright riding position

They are built for the high-rise stem and for handling with more of your weight back. If you want a more aggressive posture or plan on mostly smooth pavement riding then the Rivendell or Quickbeam is not your ideal choice.

I like the workmanship in the Rivendell models and admire Grant's steadfast philosophy of building comfortable and versatile bikes with practical components and a high quality of workmanship.

I'm trying to talk my wife into either a Rivendell or a Mariposa but she thinks it's too much money for a bike.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Bianchi San Jose

San Jose became my favorite ride, feel like a kid again. Rivendell Reader also did a VERY favorable write up on it last issue. Sub $600.00 complete. Kind of a no brainer, at least for me.
It's pretty ironic, my least expensive bike is my favorite/funest (sp).

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Might be just right if you are going to ride in the dirt some.

Timbo27 said:
I am brand new to fixed gear riding and going to purchase one. I'm not able to build one myself but would like one with fenders for comuting. Money is a consideration but not the most important. Any thoughts on the fixed gear bike Rivendell is offering? Desired frame size 58 - 60.
Not too many of the available fixtes do well on dirt, this one is built for it. The Bianchi San Jose is built up as a single speed (not fixed) but it is cheap enough that it would still be a deal if you spent the money to have it converted to fixed.

Riding fixed off road is big fun!

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Better Options

IRO, SOMA, SURLY, Milwaukee (built by Waterford), Gunnar, Bianchi San Jose, NYC Bikes, Specialized Langster, Fuji, De Bernardi (offered by yellowjersey.org).

·
Registered
18 Posts
no Riv luv

I love my QB---cheaper, faster fixies abound, but none is more versatile: touring, commuting, fenders, dirt.
I have 9 bikes, but if i had to choose just one to keep: the QB without hesitation.
I vote for Kogswell or Surly as the cheaper options.
And Riv bikes are anything but flashy, and you are not required to have the stem positioned higher than yer head.

·
Fahrrad fahren
231 Posts
Agree with the Dr.

dr.mojo said:
I love my QB---cheaper, faster fixies abound, but none is more versatile: touring, commuting, fenders, dirt.
I have 9 bikes, but if i had to choose just one to keep: the QB without hesitation.
And Riv bikes are anything but flashy, and you are not required to have the stem positioned higher than yer head.
I agree with dr. mojo. If I could keep only one bike, it would be my Quickbeam. While there are cheaper complete bikes out there, I still think the QB is a pretty good value. If you have a ton of parts sitting around already to build with, it might make sense to go some other route, but if you are going to be buying all the parts to build up a frame, suddenly the qb is competitive with surly, et al.

MB1, the QB as delivered is also SS, not fixed. Actually the hub is a flip/flop with threading for fw on both sides, but I have a 17t fixed cog on one side with no problems.

My Quickbeam page has several links to other QB owners' pages.

I thought I was going to hate the orange on the new shipment, because a bike named after an ent should be green, but I've decided I really like the new color.

You don't have to buy into the retro/bagmatcher/curmudgeon thing to realize this is a pretty nice bike.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dr.mojo said:

Dr. Mojo:

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any advice/thoughts regarding going fixed gear vs SS? I plan on using the bike for training and commuting. I have heard about the benefits of training with a fixed gear so I am wondering if some riders prefer SS. I believe the QB comes as a SS and must be converted to fixed.

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts