Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find the experience of straightening the derailleur hanger creates a certain kind of anxiety. I try to do it carefully and gently, so I won't break it. However, I'm worried that I'm weakening it, and someday it will snap off while I'm riding, throwing the rear mech into the rear wheel, trashing both, and tossing me into traffic. Is this a likely possibility?

I'm not talking about unbending one that is visibly bent or damaged, just straightening one up a bit.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
You mean like this?

Metal Iron Household hardware Silver Aluminium

Some hangers are a sort of brittle alloy and don't take too well to tweaking. This one failed on the road and the RD went into the wheel. Was OEM Fuji.

A better quality hanger is the solution.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Yup. Even if you don't break it, after a few realigns, most oem hangers become soft. So it's always good to have a few extras on hand. It also depends on the make. Cervelo and look hangers are notorious for being soft. Cannondale and specialized are usually pretty stiff.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The frame is a Specialized Tarmac SL4. This is the first time I've straightened the hanger, but I bought the frame used from eBay, so you never know what the previous owner did. The hanger actually has some scratches along the edge. I imagine, in the worst case scenario, it could have gotten all bent to hell, and he just bent it back.

On a related note, I bought a replacement hanger from Wheels MFG, but it doesn't seem to fit as snugly. The original fits like a puzzle piece. The Wheels is the same shape, but there is a 1-2 mm gap between the edge of the hanger and the frame.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I would check that the interface is clean. Sometimes that area is not properly finished from manufacture, with excess paint or overspray which you should scrape off to ensure a nice smooth, clean and square interface. As well, when you mount the new one, make sure you use threadlock on the tiny screws, and carefully torque them up. They are small, so if you overtorque you can strip threads or round the head, but they should be snug, and the loctite will keep them that way. Then ensure you align it. Just because it is new, doesn't mean it is aligned.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The very best derailleur alignment tool is the abbey tools hag. It's pricey, but makes the park one look like a toy. Much easier to use, stiffer, and more precise, plus it's a lot more compact.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
The very best derailleur alignment tool is the abbey tools hag. It's pricey, but makes the park one look like a toy. Much easier to use, stiffer, and more precise, plus it's a lot more compact.

That's a mighty nice tool, but a bit pricey. As often as I've had hanger issues I'd have a hard time justifying the price, but I sure would prefer it over my Park.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts