Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your thoughts would be appreciated.

6'2" x 260 (down 25 lbs over summer and living much more healthy)
400 miles/month. 25-35 mile club rides at about 17-17.5 mph

I currently have been riding my 2005 Colorado Cyclist CXP33/Ultegra 36/36 wheels and have put tons of miles on them. They have been great but have been needing more frequent truing in the last few years. My LBS said they are showing signs of wear around the spoke insertions and I need some hub part replacements. Recommended that i start looking for a replacement.

Of course I believe that full custom is the way to go but need to make economically feasible decisions with three girls to support.

Velomine
Velocity A23 with ultegra 36 holes
Velocity A23 Black Shimano Ultegra 6800 Hubs 36h DT Competition [740953] - $279.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

They also sell a H Son Plus Archetype with ultegra 36 holes
Price on either is about $300 delivered.

Hand tensioned but machine built is my understanding.

H Son builds probably be 450-500 for custom.

Thoughts on the A23 or H Son from Velomine?

thanks

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I bought wheels with the A23's, and quickly sent them back. They had poor machining of the break track where the weld comes together. If you can swing it, get the HED Belgium hoops. Get fully hand-built wheels with 28/32 spokes by a good builder. They'll stay true barring any accidents. I wonder if the hub wear is due to mis-adjustment of the cones, or lack of maintenance?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I would stay clear of the A23s as they aren't particularly strong hoops. I had a set of those a few years ago (28f/32r build) and the spokes holes had cracks within 8K miles. For reference I weigh on average ~205lbs.

The H+Son archetypes would be a much better bet. Another option would be Kinlin CX279 or XR31T- very affordable and tough.

·
Registered
536 Posts
At 260 the 36 hole H Son would be adequate.

I wouldn't even entertain the thought of any rim around 450 grams for a man of your size. I recently built up some disc wheels for a guy that was 275. He said he wanted some thing that he did have to be gentle to and could use on gravel decents. We settled on the Velocity Chukkers in 32/36 hole. Wheels basicly came in around 2750 grams. THat was about 1 lb more than your average disc wheel. We figured he was carrying 100lbs more than most cylist and 1 lb extra on the wheels was a no brainer. THe guy is super happy with his wheels.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow really appreciate the feedback. I must admit I have no idea what maintenance an ultegra hub needs! I guess I will mark A23 off the list. I noticed the cxp33 has been d/cd. H Son arch seem to get very good reviews. Guess it's best to wait and go custom again.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
What is your budget?

I can get these through my LBS for about $850 (plus tax, etc...) with my 'good customer' discount.
Alloy Ride Sprint -- HED Belgium + - Chris King Wheels

HED Belgium Plus rims on Chris King hubs. I suggest brass nipples over alloy.

These are shown as 24/28, but I think they can order them with different spoke counts.

That said, I've been riding a set of these (24/28) for three years. When I bought them I was about 270lbs (before I was told 24/28 wasn't enough spokes for 'my size').

I rode the crap out of them this summer at 6' 5" and 240lbs.

They have about 9k miles on them now, and I've never even had to have them trued. Zero issues.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have a set of A23s and another set of Deep Vees built with 105 hubs. They are both excellent wheels by Velocity designed for big guys. I am a big guy too (280#) and ride 36 rear and 32 front wheels. I built both sets and find them to be excellent quality. The brake tracks were perfect on the ones I bought. I have heard this complaint about Velocity and a number of other brands as well for that matter. The A23 are lighter and being wider rims, you get a bigger footprint and can run a little bit less pressure for a smoother ride. They are a popular rim and I have seen a lot of them on the road and everyone I know who owns them seems to like them. I also have a set of HPlus sons TB14 rims that I am going to lace to some old Campy record hubs for a vintage build I am working on. These are old style box rims in a 23mm width and look very similar to old school Ambrosio rims.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
I bought wheels with the A23's, and quickly sent them back. They had poor machining of the break track where the weld comes together. If you can swing it, get the HED Belgium hoops. Get fully hand-built wheels with 28/32 spokes by a good builder. They'll stay true barring any accidents. I wonder if the hub wear is due to mis-adjustment of the cones, or lack of maintenance?
I've got nearly 20K miles on a set of A23s with no brake track issues or durability concerns. I weigh 180 lb.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Talk to Velocity if you want to go with one of their rims. They are way helpful and in my experience tend to err on the durable recommendation for us big dudes.
The wheel builder should recommend a strong wheel too.
RC

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
If you read the following excellent review on rims, you will see a few issues with the Velocity A23.

Alloy Rim Roundup - Fairwheel Bikes Blog

For you, I would vote for the H+ Son Archetypes laced to the Ultegra 6800 hubs, DT Competition spokes and brass nipples. And since you're 260lbs., I would definitely get a 36 spoke rear. You could do a 32 front/36 rear if you like, but definitely nothing less.

The DT Swiss R460 (not in the review) is also a very solid rim choice and a great bang for the buck. The HED Belgium C2 is also excellent, though it's pricey.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
We stopped building w/ Velocity rims altogether after having a ton of Aeroheads crack between the spoke holes on the inside, where the rim tape goes. Same thing happened w/ A23s. They ALWAYS had chips and crap on the inside. We've moved on to HED and others. Much better quality and no cracking.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
We stopped building w/ Velocity rims altogether after having a ton of Aeroheads crack between the spoke holes on the inside, where the rim tape goes. Same thing happened w/ A23s. They ALWAYS had chips and crap on the inside. We've moved on to HED and others. Much better quality and no cracking.
+1 for HED, great quality and support.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Wow really appreciate the feedback. I must admit I have no idea what maintenance an ultegra hub needs! I guess I will mark A23 off the list. I noticed the cxp33 has been d/cd. H Son arch seem to get very good reviews. Guess it's best to wait and go custom again.
Ask the shop again what parts need replacing and post it back here.

Often it makes more sense and cheaper to buy a new hub.

Not sure what could be replaced: the bearings? the pawls? or does it need some proper greasing?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for the delay in follow-up. My LBS said their concern is the wear around the spoke insertions. I can definitely see a difference in the front vs rear wheel. For the hub. They took it apart and said it really looked OK. They tightened it up and I have been riding on it with no issues? I guess I will ride it until they say don't. My bonus hits in Feb so I guess I will probably buy a new set at that point. I wish that Colo Cyclist carried H Plus Sons, but they do not. So probably either the new CXP Pro (CXP33 replacement) or splurge on HED plus... The HED Plus are quite a bit more.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
Sorry for the delay in follow-up. My LBS said their concern is the wear around the spoke insertions. I can definitely see a difference in the front vs rear wheel. For the hub. They took it apart and said it really looked OK. They tightened it up and I have been riding on it with no issues? I guess I will ride it until they say don't. My bonus hits in Feb so I guess I will probably buy a new set at that point. I wish that Colo Cyclist carried H Plus Sons, but they do not. So probably either the new CXP Pro (CXP33 replacement) or splurge on HED plus... The HED Plus are quite a bit more.

Between those you mention, I would splurge on the HEDs. Mavic's quality control has slipped in recent years and I would steer clear of them.

The HED+ has a 20mm internal width, so be sure they will fit in your frame with the tires you want to use. If not, go with the HED C2. I have those and they are great rims.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wholly Molly! These babies are wide! Just got my new HED Plus Belg (32/32 with Ultegra hubs) mounted up on my Roubaix. I had to loosen the brake cables a bunch to get them to fit. And my 23/25 Spec Roubaix tires look like motorcycle tires. Feel great just playing around in the hood, first club ride tonight. I will take some pics. Took advantage of the Prowheelbuilder Black Friday deal and got the total package in at $518.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,411 Posts
Why did nobody mentioned offcenter rims here?
There are some others than A23s.
Yes there are. The DT R440 comes in an off center or asymmetric version. I would certainly recommend the DT R440 over the Velocity A23 any day. However, asymmetric doesn't necessarily mean better. It is true that an asymmetric rim will help reduce tension disparities between drive and non-drive side. But that's not the whole story. Take a look around and you will notice something about all the rims available this way. They are all either narrow or low profile rims. In other words, these are the types of rims that might NEED that feature. For many rims, it is unnecessary. I built HED C2 rims to Ultegra 6800 11-speed hubs. Those will easily handle 130kgF on the DS which will get you to around 55kgF on the NDS. That is plenty adequate.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had Kinlin XR22T or XR31T in mind, though I'm not sure if the wall thickness at the nipple seat is sufficient for heavy riders, washers might be necessary.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I had Kinlin XR22T or XR31T in mind, though I'm not sure if the wall thickness at the nipple seat is sufficient for heavy riders, washers might be necessary.
Washers or not, these rims at 24mmOD-19mmID-31mmH show a lot of surface for just 485 grams. Compare them to other rims of similar depth and/or width and draw your own conclusions. There are no miracle alloys - yet!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts