Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts/issues anyone sees with this build. Going on a custon steel frameset. Plan on ordering in the next couple of days.

2005 Ergopower Campagnolo Chorus 10Speed -
2005 Brakes Campagnolo Centaur Gray -
2005 Front Derailleur Campagnolo Centaur Grey -
2005 Chain Campagnolo Record C10 -
2006 Campagnolo Zonda Wheels Black -
2005 Cassette Campagnolo Veloce UD 10speed 12-25
2005 Rear Derailleur Camp. Centaur Gray -
2005 Tire Michelin Pro2Race 23" Black 700x23
H.Bar Fsa Wing Pro Alloy 42C/C
Thompson Elite Post
Flite Ti seat

have pedals, chris king headset, etc....

Not sure of which cranks to go for... going compact...probably 06 FSA SLK. (50/34).. and i've got a bunch of stems to try until i gear it in, then i'll pick one out...

Any thoughts on grearing or parts would be appreciated. Trying to build the best bike i can on a budget... hence veloce casette, centaur der etc. Let me know if I should avoid any of these parts....

thanks.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
bikerboy337 said:
Any thoughts/issues anyone sees with this build. Going on a custon steel frameset. Plan on ordering in the next couple of days.

2005 Ergopower Campagnolo Chorus 10Speed -
2005 Brakes Campagnolo Centaur Gray -
2005 Front Derailleur Campagnolo Centaur Grey -
2005 Chain Campagnolo Record C10 -
2006 Campagnolo Zonda Wheels Black -
2005 Cassette Campagnolo Veloce UD 10speed 12-25
2005 Rear Derailleur Camp. Centaur Gray -
2005 Tire Michelin Pro2Race 23" Black 700x23
H.Bar Fsa Wing Pro Alloy 42C/C
Thompson Elite Post
Flite Ti seat

have pedals, chris king headset, etc....

Not sure of which cranks to go for... going compact...probably 06 FSA SLK. (50/34).. and i've got a bunch of stems to try until i gear it in, then i'll pick one out...

Any thoughts on grearing or parts would be appreciated. Trying to build the best bike i can on a budget... hence veloce casette, centaur der etc. Let me know if I should avoid any of these parts....

thanks.
Sounds nice, but is not even near any "on a budget" that I can imagine. - TF

·
Registered
269 Posts
Campy Centaur compact crank?

bikerboy337:

Campagnolo just came out with Centaur and Veloce alloy compact cranks (50/34 chainrings). They are very reasonably priced. I got the Centaur crank for my wife's bike plus the Campy compact front derailleur all for less than $200 at my friendly local bike shop.

It works great, shifting much better than my bike's compact setup (FSA compact with Shimano front derailleur). I'm thinking that compact-matched front derailleurs are a good idea. I'm going to get the FSA one for my bike in hopes that it will improve the shifting (no big problems -- just a bit dodgy).

The Centaur compact crank comes in Centaur Gray, which IMO would look great with the matching brakes and derailleurs you have listed (the compact front derailleur does come in C-gray -- I checked).

Regardless, I think your bike build sounds great. Centaur is great stuff (have it on two of my wife's bikes). I think it's on par with Ultegra in terms of design, materials, and finish. The Chorus levers are indeed nicer than Centaur -- they have ball bearing pivots in the works instead of bushings. The Veloce cogset is a good place to save a bit of money. You have chosen wisely.

One little suggestion you might consider. I'm sure the Campy Zonda wheels are very nice (they, are, after all, Campy), but if it were my custom steel frame, I'd go the more classic route with traditional 32 spoke Mavic Open Pros (black) with Centaur hubs in C-gray. In fact, I got that exact wheelset for my wife's bike from my local shop, who ordered the built wheelset from QBP (largest bike shop supply outfit in U.S.). They would look so cool with your C-gray brakes, derailleurs, and crank. Looks like QBP builds the Centaur hubs with Velocity Aerohead OC rims nowadays, but you could get any rim you want if you had them custom built.

I won't bore you with my tirade against boutique, low-spoke count wheels for "normal" (meaning, non-time trial) riding. Suffice to say that nobody who has been around road bikes for a long time (say, decades) will ever have a bad word to say about a good set of 32 spoke wheels; you can hear plenty of bad things about low-spoke count boutique wheels.

Hope this helps. Have fun building your new bike, and please post a pic once it's done.

Dale

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
cmg said:
consider buying it at probikekit.com might save some dollars..........
or 11speed.com or TotalCycling.com

A few thoughts:
I agree with the above poster about the Centaur or Veloce compact crank and 111mm Centaur bb. Strong, cheap, pretty, it would be my choice over an SLK. Plus, you can get the Centaur in the grey color.

I'd go with Chorus brakes so you get the differential brakes (single pivot) in the rear. It would break the look of the all grey parts though.

Zondas seem like awesome wheels. The one caveat with Campy wheels is that it is sometimes difficult to mount tires on them the first time. After the tires stretch, it's usually no biggie. But, Michelins are supposedly one of the most difficult to mount on Campys, so be ready for a struggle when you put new tires on (there are tricks like putting the tires in the dryer), or look for a different tire for those wheels.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm running a Centaur drivetrain with FSA Gossamer compact cranks. These are some inexpensive compact cranks that have given me no problems at all. They're black so they won't match as well as the Campy cranks though.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
centaur cranks

thanks all... i'll look for those cranks online... didn't see them on probike or 11speed, but total bike has them... so i'll probably cehck that out and buy them seperate...

·
Registered
704 Posts
http://www.repartocorse.com/ - both models of Campag compact, in all available colours (assuming they actually have them, of course...)

Do you really need to know what a S-word stuff rider was doing looking up C-word bits and pieces?

Thought not ;) The CPP (Campag Purist Police :rolleyes: ) wouldn't like what I was thinking anyway ;)

D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts