Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been toying with the idea of getting myself a new bike this coming winter for next season. A 2009 at the end of the year/start of next year most likely. I have been looking at mainly 2 bikes a Wilier Centro Uno and a Ridley Noah. I have heard people mention that the centro is a over priced "name" bike and that most of the wilier pros use other models with centro tagging. I haven't heard any negative to the Noah and Its a good combo of stiff for sprinting and the newer aero style. I am mainly a power over distance and sprinter type rider, limited hills for climbs (Floridian). I was wondering if anyone has had experience with wilier to give me an idea if I should look at the other models or if the new centro is worth a serious look. I do plan to ride both before I'd purchase but I am looking for thoughts and opinions on the 2 or even open to other suggestions for a stiff power transfer; sprinting bike. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a Ridley Damocles

2008 model. Great sprinter's bike. Very stiff head tube thanks to the tappered design. I would recommend it to anyone especially since mine is for sale, lol. Don't know anything about the Wilier. Looks nice though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
jtw1n said:
I have been toying with the idea of getting myself a new bike this coming winter for next season. A 2009 at the end of the year/start of next year most likely. I have been looking at mainly 2 bikes a Wilier Centro Uno and a Ridley Noah. I have heard people mention that the centro is a over priced "name" bike and that most of the wilier pros use other models with centro tagging. I haven't heard any negative to the Noah and Its a good combo of stiff for sprinting and the newer aero style. I am mainly a power over distance and sprinter type rider, limited hills for climbs (Floridian). I was wondering if anyone has had experience with wilier to give me an idea if I should look at the other models or if the new centro is worth a serious look. I do plan to ride both before I'd purchase but I am looking for thoughts and opinions on the 2 or even open to other suggestions for a stiff power transfer; sprinting bike. Thanks a lot.
I personally would go for the Noah with the new aero design. Why???? Because I'm getting one of these too. Great bike for the money compared to the Cento. The Looks are nice and are comparable to the Wilier's but a little less money.

The Bike Shop in Glen Ellyn in Illinois carries all three brands. They can answer your question about all 3 mentioned and help you for what you are looking for. Ask for Rich the owner and tell him Ryan referred you.
http://www.thebikeshopge.com

In the end, if you can't decide, I say choose the one with the coolest color or looks best to you. You can't go wrong with any of the 3 bikes mentioned.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I ride the '09 Noah, my mate rides the Cento.

Both are incredibly sexy rides! Although he has ruined his by having sh*tmano on it.

You'd be extremely happy either way you went, they're defo my no 1 and 2 in my lineup of bikes.. (although the new Time is very close, Prince is great but every man and his dog has one.. but I digress!)

Only thing I'd say is the build of the Cento feels a little more "solid". The down tubes on the Ridley are almost like the thin tubes of the old alloy bikes, you can squeeze them a bit but I've had no issues.

But if you're after a sprinters bike it has to be the Noah. It just blew me away the first crit I did on it, the acceleration was unreal.

I'd kinda compare those two frames to that new Nissan GT-R and something like a 911. The cento being more like the 911 in that it's slightly more 'refined' but and the Noah like the Nissan in that it's just brutally fast but kinda feels more 'japanese' if that makes sense!

But finally, even though I love both bikes, I just looked up the prices on Competitive and there is no way in h*ll I could justify the price difference to the Cento.. put that money towards some pimping wheels.

In the "peoples choice" awards based on who likes what best, more people would check out my ride than his, I reckon that's mainly cause of the 808's on it which make it look pretty mean.

·
Registered
205 Posts
i go for the Ridley Noah as well. I love mine. great sprinting bike and climber as well, more so out of the saddle. Its solid and fast.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Luis50 said:
2008 model. Great sprinter's bike. Very stiff head tube thanks to the tappered design. I would recommend it to anyone especially since mine is for sale, lol. Don't know anything about the Wilier. Looks nice though.
I’m a bit late to this thread, but I, too, own a 2008 Damocles, and I have to agree that it kicks serious buttocks for sprinting… however, it is no slouch going uphills either (rarely need to get out of the saddle for good torque transfer). I’d even admit that it is an all-around bike, however, I am no industry expert, just a guy who rides his ass off (almost 8,000 miles on the bike since purchase last year).

·
Dr. Flats a lot
740 Posts
Hmmm. Most of my experience is with Ridley. Outside mag did a road bike review and included both in their review. They were much bigger fans of the Wilier. Not that they are that hard core of a resource. My experience had been with Ridley. I've had three of them, love the ride. Noah is certainly a sprinters bike. Personally I would go for the Damacles. Much more versitile, no integrated seat post, cheaper. Ridleys do have a bit of a reputation for breaking. Light carbon bikes tend to do that.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Both are phenomenal bikes and I dont think you can go wrong with either. I was in somewhat of the same position only I was considering the Izoard and the Damocles (among others). I guess for me, it came down to buying a bike from a company with a history...103 years of history actually, compared to something like 15 for Ridley (thats a guess). I know that doesnt matter to some, but it did for me. I cant ignore the aesthetic factor of the wiliers over the ridleys either. I just think they are flat out prettier. I know it doesnt get much stiffer than the Cento as I've even heard that the Lampre team rides the Le Roi because the Cento is simply too stiff, although that might have only been for races like the Paris Roubaix.

Let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
enac said:
comobike in Italy has great prices on Wilier. They beat all U.S. prices hands down.
I checked out comobike they list the wiliers as not being available for sale in US. Have you personally bought one through them? Their prices are very good.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I forgot to note that I checked out comobike as well. The izoard frameset retails for $2000 in the states but como was going to sell it to me for $1700 shipped. Thats everything but any customs fees that I might have run into and from what I read, they could be quite hefty on a $2000 purchase. In the end I found it to be a more novel idea to just purchase here in the states for just a bit more. I ended up buying from competitive cyclist and they were able to offer it for $1800. My advice would be to just shop around for whatever bike or frame you are interested in. Whatever comobike or any other euro retailer can sell it for, one of your local LBS can come close if not match.

·
Banned
976 Posts
Wilier. . .

I can think of no other frameset maker I'd buy over Wilier. I've had three of them, including my current 2009 Le Roi, which I sold my Colnago C50 to get. Their attention to detail, and superb craftsmanship keep me coming back.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wilier will not stand behind their frames or warranty, or at least they didn't used to, so that would be enough to steer me to Ridley. My Wilier was the best frame I ever rode until the carbon rear triangle came unglued and cracked.

·
Banned
976 Posts
Wrong. . .

bigreen505 said:
Wilier will not stand behind their frames or warranty, or at least they didn't used to, so that would be enough to steer me to Ridley.
If you're the original owner, and bought from a authorized dealer like Competitive Cyclist you will NOT have a problem. If you buy from another source, you simply need to have the retailer take care of it. Either way, no big deal.
:idea: Go break a Ridley purchased from an unauthorized retailer and see what they say. I bet they tell you to get lost.

·
Registered
111 Posts
QQUIKM3 said:
If you're the original owner, and bought from a authorized dealer like Competitive Cyclist you will NOT have a problem. If you buy from another source, you simply need to have the retailer take care of it. Either way, no big deal.
:idea: Go break a Ridley purchased from an unauthorized retailer and see what they say. I bet they tell you to get lost.
I wish that was true, but the retailer was told to screw off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Untrue

I had an issue with my Cento and Wilier replaced the frame with no questions asked. In fact they upgraded me into the bargain! Fantastic coverage - try that with a Cervelo!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I Bought a 2009 Wilier Cento Uno

I special ordered a European color "yellow" Cento Uno from Ikon Cycles in Sacramento, no problem and its a beautiful ride. Before the purchase, I looked at Pinarello Prince, Cervelos, Look, Ridley, Time, Specialized S-Works and BMC, but none had the "subjective" nice feel of the Italian Cento Uno. During the purchase process, I did see a couple older Wilier Izoard frames returned for clear coat issues, but Ikon Cycles and Wilier took care of it. At Ikon Cycles, I also saw several Wilier LeRoi and Izoard in for service, these bikes really were ridden hard by its owners and shows battle scars, but they held up. I especially love the LeRoi in copper color (2007 /2008), it was simply striking! So in terms of warranty, I think it has more to do with your dealer than the factory. I have a mixture of Campy Super Record 11 parts, Record 11 parts, 3T Ergonova handlebar, Fulcrum Racing 1 wheels, and Speedplay Frog TI pedals on my bike now, what a fantastic ride and it gets complements every where I go too.

In the future, I will try Time RXS TI pedals and Fulcrum Racing 0 with tubeless tires. I am not a big fan of carbon wheels for daily road use. However, I do think Campagnolo Bora Ultra Two is simply sexy but its way out of my price range. BTW, any Wilier models will look great with Campangolo Shamal wheels or Fulcrum wheels. I saw many customer examples at Ikon Cycles. They are not cheap, but they are great wheels.

Some people wrote rear shifting problems with the Cento Uno, I did not have any issues with my bike. I don't know any other Wilier bike owners had shifting problems with their bikes. Again, I think it is the initial set-up by the dealer that matters the most. Wilier did made some minor cable routing modifications with 2010 Cento Uno frames to address these real or unreal complaints.

I do like the sexy Pinarello Prince, but I heard from some fellows that Pinarello factory is not easy to work with if problems occurs. I also like the 2009 Cervelo S2, but I didn't want to deal with the problematic cable routing and cable noise issues. I also read that Cervelo isn't easy to work with if warranty issues occurs. I figure if Wilier couldn't build a great bicycle, it wouldn't have lasted over 100 years and continue to win championships. I really felt like I bought a "Ferrari" of a bike, may be over time it will require a bit more tinkering like a Italian sport car, but it well be very satisfying. When I am not riding, I do enjoy looking at my bike because it is so pretty. My wife thinks I am nuts (may be so). Also knowing that I have something that is considered by many as top of the bicycle plateau, almost like I bought a piece of machine art with a 100 years pedigree.

If I was looking for a lowered priced frame today, I would take a serious look at the new 2010 Fuji SST aero frame because I know Fuji bikes has great geometries, the new Wilier Imperiale, or buy a left over 2009 Cervelo frame from Competitive Cyclist.

David Chen in Elk Grove, California

1 - 20 of 22 Posts