Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kinda fed up dealing with the press fit bottom bracket on my Litespeed L3 frame that has the BB386 shell. I've found the Enduro TorqTite (https://www.endurobearings.com/technology/torqtite/) which has an internal threaded sleeve on each cup to allow tightening together without pressing into the frame. Wheels Manufacturing has a similar product and is less expensive.

Anyone have experience with these products or others that you may recommend?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Make sure whichever BB you choose will work with your frame. I tried to install a WheelsMFG threaded BB into my BH Ultralight (386evo). On the inside of the bottom bracket area on my frame is a boss, for where the cover screws into on the bottom of the frame. The WheelsMFG does not 'step down' at all in the center, and so the boss would prevent it from being installed.

I ended up going with the Enduro bearings, which does step down in the center enough to clear the boss. It was expensive though. $200 for the bracket itself, and then another $40 (!), for the wrench to install it. They say you need two wrenches, but for how expensive they were, I took my chances with just one wrench. There was enough friction in the system to prevent the other side from spinning, by holding it by my hand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Cartoscro. I don't think there is anything in the way inside the BB shell in my frame, which leads me to think the Wheels manufacturing option would work and also a more economical option. Do you recall if it needed a special wrench too?

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
Have your frame threaded for T47 cups. They're basically threaded BB386/PF30 cups. That's the lightest, most elegant solution.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks but I'm doing my own wrenching and I'm not that ambitious. Maybe my next bike will come threaded for T47.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Doesn't offer any advantage over a threaded adapter BB. Other than saving 20g. At the risk of having your frame screwed up and voiding the warranty.
I was going to say something similar. Having a frame threaded in the field is a different thing to having a frame built with a precision pre-threaded BB shell.

The tooling and expertise needed may not be that easy to come by. There's more to it than a simple "face and chase" job.

·
Registered
20,820 Posts
I was going to say something similar. Having a frame threaded in the field is a different thing to having a frame built with a precision pre-threaded BB shell.

The tooling and expertise needed may not be that easy to come by. There's more to it than a simple "face and chase" job.
And the frame is carbon. Which means you'd have no idea how thick the BB insert is. It may not even be thick enough to safely thread.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
And the frame is carbon. Which means you'd have no idea how thick the BB insert is. It may not even be thick enough to safely thread.
Litespeed makes carbon frames?? The horror.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Wheels Manufacturing bottom bracket came today. It installed with ease. The crank set install was just as easy.

With the pressed in (plastic FSA) cups and bearings that came on the bike, the cranks spun with too much resistance. I don't think the bearings on each side of the BB were parallel. The spindle never went through all the way. I tried in vain to tap it in with a rubber mallet. It eventually worked, but it seemed to tighten/compress the bearing cartridge and you could feel the resistance when turning the cranks.

This is a much better setup now. It's more of a precise fit and the cranks spin easy. The only fuss was adjusting the front derailleur to align with the new/correct position of the rings.

Thanks for taking me through the decision process!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
The Wheels Manufacturing bottom bracket came today. It installed with ease. The crank set install was just as easy.
My LBS just ordered a BB from Wheels yesterday for my 2018 FR1. Looking forward to getting it installed and finally riding the new frame.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.