Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
building up old frameset with a 1" headtube and 1" threaded fork. I want lower bar height and I'm looking for really low stack stem/headset options. I've been down with route before and went through several headsets but was never completely satisfied with the results... threaded headsets are just so tall! This time I'm considering swapping out the threaded headset with a 1" threadless headset. The Campy record 1" threadless headset is only 25.4mm tall compared to the lowest threadless stack height I've found at about 33mm.

The question is... will this trash the original threaded fork? It will have shim to accomodate a 1 1/8 stem, not sure if this will protect the fork threads or not? I'd like to use the original fork so if this option will damage the fork, I'll look into a quill adapter. Though, those always looked kind of clunky to me.

Any experience out there to help me choose the best execution?

thanks!

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
you cannot just swap a threaded headset for threadless, for fairly obvious reasons.

get a quill stem with a lot of drop like a track stem.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
What Julio said. You're approaching it wrong by focusing on the headset height. That's a minor part of the adjustment process compared to the stem angle and how low you sink the quill. A quill stem with a negative angle, dropped all the way, will get you awfully low.

Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork Bicycle part

1 - 3 of 3 Posts