Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace a 1" threadless carbon fork and would like to go steel. Lots of lugged threaded steel forks around to choose from cheap. Assuming the steerer tube length was long enough, any reason I could not use a threadless stem clamped on/ over the threads of a threaded fork. I would install a star nut... would this break the steerer tube because of the threads? Stem would be 1 1/8th using a shim to get to 1 inch. Thanks in advance for your replies...

singlecross

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I don't know why you couldn't do it. However, the threads would give the stem very little contact area that could lead to slippage. I'm using an adaptor, and though some people think they look bad, I'm happy.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Peanya said:
I don't know why you couldn't do it. However, the threads would give the stem very little contact area that could lead to slippage. I'm using an adaptor, and though some people think they look bad, I'm happy.
I read somewhere that it can be done.
I would think that the steel threads of the steering tube would actually cut/dig into the alum. stem making it more secure, not less. That is, your using an alum. stem.

·
Cyclist
531 Posts
I've heard that the walls of the steerer on a threaded fork are much thinner than a threadless fork, it's not recomended. Again, this is through the grapevine, so take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I know that adaptors exist but they would require me to swap out to a threaded headset. I would rather keep my threadless King headset, slide the 1" threadless carbon fork out, swap the crown race, slide a 1" threaded steel fork in, and rebolt the stem on.

Ideally I would find a threaded steel fork off a BIG frame with a ton of steerer tube and cut the threaded portion completely off.

Thanks again.

singlecross

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
singlecross said:
Thanks for the replies.

I know that adaptors exist but they would require me to swap out to a threaded headset. I would rather keep my threadless King headset, slide the 1" threadless carbon fork out, swap the crown race, slide a 1" threaded steel fork in, and rebolt the stem on.Ideally I would find a threaded steel fork off a BIG frame with a ton of steerer tube and cut the threaded portion completely off.

Thanks again.

singlecross
That should work fine. Standard threadless 25.4 steerer tubes have a 1.55mm wall thickness at the top, while standard threaded 25.4 steerer tubes are 1.5mm, so the threadless tubes aren't that much thicker (0.05mm). Both the threaded and treadless steerers have 2.3mm wall thickness on the butted end that gets brazed to the fork crown.

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
Clamping a stem over a threaded steerer just seems like a really bad idea...sounds like a good way to shear the threaded portion of the steerer right off while you're cranking on it out of the saddle...but the options illustrated by the other commenters make good sense. I've used a couple of those adapters (Deda and Profile Design) over the years and they work fine.

·
leon2982
230 Posts
file down the threads

I heard some have achieved what you are looking for by filing down the threads. I was able to eventuall find a threadless 1" with CF blades online.

·
Life Coach
2,523 Posts
If you're not doing this on the cheap and you have a steel fork you're in love with, a local frambuilder could put a new steerer in for you with no problems...and not TOO much cost.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts