Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had it apart for a re-grease and clean. I must have lost the touch because it keeps backing off and becomes loose after a few miles. Both the threaded race and top nut will turn together. Getting frustrating...any tips?

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Kuma601 said:
I had it apart for a re-grease and clean. I must have lost the touch because it keeps backing off and becomes loose after a few miles. Both the threaded race and top nut will turn together. Getting frustrating...any tips?
Does it have a lock washer and did you install it in between top nut and top race?

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Torque?

Kuma601 said:
You obviously can't put a torque wrench on it, but it sounds like you need to put more beef into tightening the top nut. Either that or you left out a spacer and the top nut is actually bottoming out on the steerer tube. And as DaveH said, if the steerer tube has a flat or a keyway, you should have a matching lock washer.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Washer is installed and it does give enough clearance from the race and top nut. What I didn't notice initially is that the forks don't have the keyway channel like the other threaded forks. Usually the washer has a tab that fits in this channel and prevents the whole assembly from freely spinning. I'll put a bit more muscle and see how it does...I thought it was snugged it pretty good but the ride proved otherwise.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I have the same problem with mine

Kuma601 said:
Washer is installed and it does give enough clearance from the race and top nut. What I didn't notice initially is that the forks don't have the keyway channel like the other threaded forks. Usually the washer has a tab that fits in this channel and prevents the whole assembly from freely spinning. I'll put a bit more muscle and see how it does...I thought it was snugged it pretty good but the ride proved otherwise.
I'm gonna suggest blue loctite aftet the race is in the correct spot and then crank tdown the fix nut and a touch of blue loctite over it. At this point for me I'm gonna replace the original freeballer with a caged newer version threaded HS and see if that works.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,749 Posts
You should not need Loctite of any type - you tighten the two towards each other. Hold the race with a wrench and tighten the top cap down securely. They're like the nuts on hubs and older BBs, and even fixie lockrings - if they're loosening, you're doing it wrong.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,749 Posts
ARP said:
At this point for me I'm gonna replace the original freeballer with a caged newer version threaded HS and see if that works.
That likely won't fix anything, other than make the bike more prone to indexing. Loose balls are smoother and less likely to index than caged bearings.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Kuma601 said:
Both the threaded race and top nut will turn together. Getting frustrating...any tips?
Are you countering the race and the locknut against each other, i.e., turning one against the other as much as you can? I've had good luck over the years with setting pre-load just a tad too tight, then holding the locknut stationary and turning the race counter-clockwise against the locknut as hard as I can.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wim said:
Are you countering the race and the locknut against each other, i.e., turning one against the other as much as you can? I've had good luck over the years with setting pre-load just a tad too tight, then holding the locknut stationary and turning the race counter-clockwise against the locknut as hard as I can.
Yup, that is my procedure.I turn it about 1/8-1/3 beyond proper and when tightening, I give it that approximate counter turn while doing the top nut. Has been fine all these years until this session. I'll find out tomorrow when I take that bike out.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,421 Posts
If you don't have a keyed washer, you need two wrenches. (a crescent wrench will work for the lock nut)......A thin headset wrench will be needed for the top cup.

If your steerer tube is keyed, just go buy a new washer, with a key.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts