Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, I re-greased the threaded Shimano 600EX headset, this one has about 2K miles on it. It is wearing evenly so I didn't think of swapping it out. Though when I re-assembled it, I noticed when I snugged it up, it was about 1/4 tighter than previous. (I put alignment marks so I know here it was previous) I had also removed the cups to clean the headtube of any accumulated grime...blah blah.

When I initially cut the steerer tube I made it for two spacers. The top nut no longer properly contacts the washers to snug the top race without play. What would you suggest:

1. Install another washer...easiest.
2. Grind down the steerer tube the necessary amount.
3. Re-check the cartridge bearings and replace if necessary. Though they looked pretty good, I didn't Mic them.

Alternately, I have a Campy Record HS spares but the stack height is lower than the Shimano. I'm not keen on stacking washers but it would enable me to replace with a newer unit.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All the parts are in. The difference is about 1/3-1/4 a turn. Just enough to introduce a bit of slack. My other conclusion is there may have been a bit of something under one of the cups. When I cleaned it up, that tiny bit allowed the cup to seat differently than before. :confused5:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.