Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in need of a threaded stem. The current one has too much of a neg. rise. I'd like one that is about level or maybe just a touch of rise. Anyone recommend a site to get these? Maybe I'm an idiot, but I cannot find one anywhere. BTW, I do know that you can buy the threadless adapters, but I really like the looks of the threadless stems, especially for an older bike.

It's for a 1" headset. Going on this bike.

EDIT: Hope you can see this one, kykr

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Ben's in Milwaukee has a bunch of them. I bought a really nice Nitto Technomic and learned all about what .883 stems were...

I can't see the pic but probably because of the webcops at work.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
kykr13 said:
learned all about what .883 stems were...

.883 stems??? so just what are those?

there wasn't much choice in the angle for quill stems, even when they were the standard... you will prob have to resort to a 'dorky' high-rise stem like the technomic or deluxe, or an ugly 90-degree profile design. know your bar diameter before you shop, 25.4 and 26.0 are not interchangeable

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll check to see how the stock one works out.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tip, guys. I'm not familiar with threaded stems, so I didn't think of this earlier, but they can be pulled up higher, right? I hope there is enough to pull it up a couple inches. That might solve it. Thoughts?

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
palu said:
they can be pulled up higher, right? I hope there is enough to pull it up a couple inches.

yes... although if you want to pull it up that much higher you *might* need new brake cable housing/cables, at least for the front but maybe both... good thing it's got dt shifters

·
Banned
14,484 Posts
palu said:
Thanks for the tip, guys. I'm not familiar with threaded stems, so I didn't think of this earlier, but they can be pulled up higher, right? I hope there is enough to pull it up a couple inches. That might solve it. Thoughts?
Just a guess, but I'm thinking your stem can be raised quite a bit, yes.

Here are some beautiful stems though:

http://www.rivbike.com/search/run?query=stems

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Terminology

It's a "quill" stem, used with a threaded headset. And yes, they can be raised, but how much depends on the length. If you want your bars substantially higher, think about the NItto Technomic that was mentioned, which BTW Fred is a lovely piece of industrial jewelry and not at all dorky ;-) The reason quill stems didn't come in different angles is that they have a simple way to adjust height, unlike the inelegant "modern" threadless design

https://sheldonbrown.com/harris/stems/index.html#onethreadstems

But if you just need to raise your bars some now, loosen the bolt and pull them up, and see how much room you've got. there should be a "minimum insertion" mark to tell you how high is safe.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
"lovely piece of industrial jewelry" my arse... technomics (standard, the one you picture) are among the most roughly finished of all nitto stems, perhaps the most roughly finished of all their products, period. the cheap looking nut-bolt used on the bar clamp does not help. does it get the job done? sure. jewelry? hell no

also, on a frame that small he won't be able to push it down very far- shortish head tube and prob some butting on the bottom... meaning it will look like a giraffe. pulling it up is the way to go, second choice is the better and shorter technomic deluxe

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kykr13 said:
Having the Technomic in my hand before it got shipped back to Ben's (which they accepted back without any problems), I thought it was nicely made. There could be better/smoother/shinier, but it was going on a beater. And yes, the correct term is "Quill" stem.

Here's the deal with an .883 stem (a.k.a. 21.1mm or 21.15mm) - some USA bikes from the 80's were made with them, and it was apparently a CPSC effort to make the standard. That worked well... :rolleyes: My bike is a mid-80's Ross that I rebuilt over the winter, and I needed a longer stem than the 80 that's on it. A little higher would help too. There were some made but they're as rare as left-handed monkey wrenches.

Look for the minimum insertion mark and don't go higher than that (obviously). If a standard 1" (22.2mm) doesn't fit, then you're in the same boat as me. Again, I can't see the picture but these bikes are pretty rare these days.
Thanks for the info. I hope mine's not a .883. I think mine's a late-80's/90's bike. Edited the first post so that hopefully now, you can see the pic.

EDIT: Why are my posts not appearing in "Linear" mode? Double checked the options, but it says Linear. April Fool's joke or something?

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Having the Technomic in my hand before it got shipped back to Ben's (which they accepted back without any problems), I thought it was nicely made. There could be better/smoother/shinier, but it was going on a beater. And yes, the correct term is "Quill" stem.

Here's the deal with an .883 stem (a.k.a. 21.1mm or 21.15mm) - some USA bikes from the 80's were made with them, and it was apparently a CPSC effort to make the standard. That worked well... :rolleyes: My bike is a mid-80's Ross that I rebuilt over the winter, and I needed a longer stem than the 80 that's on it. A little higher would help too. There were some made but they're as rare as left-handed monkey wrenches.

Look for the minimum insertion mark and don't go higher than that (obviously). If a standard 1" (22.2mm) doesn't fit, then you're in the same boat as me. Again, I can't see the picture but these bikes are pretty rare these days.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
I believe this is a 'quill' stem being used with a threaded headset.
I use vintage Cinelli 1A and XA Road Stems (22.2mm) that I think look great, especially on older steel bikes.
Your headset is probably 1".
You can check the stem shaft for 'minimum' insertion mark, and you can probably safely raise your stem up a little.
You can usually find quill stems on eBay.

CINELLI XA ROAD STEM
View attachment 160597 View attachment 160598

John

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
must be careful with that one... it came in cinelli's proprietary 26.4 and later in (everyone else's) standard 26.0 bar diameter

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the stock Nitto stem is 22.2mm, so I'm glad I have other options. I maxed out the height, so hopefully it's enough. Thanks for all the info and inputs.

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
palu said:
Well, the stock Nitto stem is 22.2mm, so I'm glad I have other options.
Good! I see the pic now - it was the work-related web restrictions. I don't take seven smoke breaks a day, so I figure wasting a little time on the web isn't the end of the world...

Nice bike - but finding another black stem might be difficult. Not that a silver one would look bad at all either.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
RJohn said:
I don't mean to be picky but that is an XA you have pictured. And right you are Fat Tire Fred.
RJohn:
You are absolutely correct. I have both, and hit the wrong key for the picture I posted.
Sorry for the confusion!:(
I went back and changed my post.
John

·
Registered
296 Posts
FatTireFred said:
"lovely piece of industrial jewelry" my arse... technomics (standard, the one you picture) are among the most roughly finished of all nitto stems, perhaps the most roughly finished of all their products, period. the cheap looking nut-bolt used on the bar clamp does not help. does it get the job done? sure. jewelry? hell no

also, on a frame that small he won't be able to push it down very far- shortish head tube and prob some butting on the bottom... meaning it will look like a giraffe. pulling it up is the way to go, second choice is the better and shorter technomic deluxe
Lol, they'll say anything to to be able to sell it.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
If the amount you raised it does not work out. A shiny new silver quill stem would sure look nice! As stated above the Technomic is not the nicest finished Nitto stem, but It is still prettier than almost all threadless stems. It is a very elegant solution for raising the handlebars compared to what has to be done to raise handlebars on a threadless stem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts