Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently purchased an Innovations Ultraflate Plus CO2 cartridge inflation system. It came with a 16 gram threadless cartridge which has, unfortunately, already been used, so it is now time to purchase replacement cartridges.

I'm looking for advice on whether to purchase the threaded or threadless cartridges and the advantages/disadvantages of both. The pump accepts both which leads me to believe that the threaded cartridges are designed more for the small pump attachments that simply screw on top.

I'd like to think that, once punctured, the threaded cartridges create a better seal and might be less prone to leaking and last for more than one fill, but the body of my pump seemed to hold the threadless cartridge in pretty tight.

Any opinions?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
No advantages to threaded cartridges, except that they cost a lot more. Go to Walmart, or a store like that to buy a box of CO2 unthreaded cartridges dirt cheap.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The only time you need threaded is when you've got the minimalist head only inflator. Otherwise, threadless works fine and as Mr. Grumpy said, buy them at Wal-Mart. I think they're in the BB gun / air gun section. Much cheaper!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
mikespug said:
I've recently purchased an Innovations Ultraflate Plus CO2 cartridge inflation system. It came with a 16 gram threadless cartridge which has, unfortunately, already been used, so it is now time to purchase replacement cartridges.

I'm looking for advice on whether to purchase the threaded or threadless cartridges and the advantages/disadvantages of both. The pump accepts both which leads me to believe that the threaded cartridges are designed more for the small pump attachments that simply screw on top.

I'd like to think that, once punctured, the threaded cartridges create a better seal and might be less prone to leaking and last for more than one fill, but the body of my pump seemed to hold the threadless cartridge in pretty tight.

Any opinions?
I use this planet bike unit - it needs threaded cartridges, but it works extremely well. I've never had any issues w/ it, other than freezing my hands on the cartridge.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,341 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
No advantages to threaded cartridges, except that they cost a lot more. Go to Walmart, or a store like that to buy a box of CO2 unthreaded cartridges dirt cheap.
Yep,

I last bought CO2 a few years ago at Wal-Mart.....50 threadless cartridges in total, for maybe 10-20 bucks. You have to look-but WalMart DOES sell 16g cartridges.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Well threaded are more versatile, as has been said if you like the minimalist approach of not having to carry the cup for the co2 inflator. But threadless do seem to be cheaper and easier to find. Don't worry about the seal, it is good on both. Just blow out the female portion of the inflator before use to make sure there is no debris that would prevent a good seal. For what it is worth, I keep my inflators in a small ziplock baggies to keep them clean.

I have a couple of Innovations co2 inflators and use 16oz threaded exclusively. I pre–wrap my cartridges in cloth tape to keep my sweaty fingers from freezing to them, but that has never been a problem. (added bonus of keeping them from clanking together)

I get my cartridges from these guys: http://www.gas-depot.com/
probably not as cheap as Wal-mart, (but I will not patronize Wal-mart so) just throwing that out there as another option.

HTH
zac

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe that it is advertised as "compatible" with both 16 and 12 gram cartridges but I'd imagine that the 12 gram would have to be threaded in order to break the seal. The housing is too large to put any pressure on a 12 gram cartridge.

But that presents another question...before I run out to Wallyworld to save a few $$$...do they even have 16 gram cartridges? Perhaps a local sporting goods store may be better suited to my needs as I don't care to frequent Walmart any more than I have to either.

G

·
I use one of the versions of the ultraflate with 12g unthreaded CO2 cartridges, they work just fine. They look to be the cheapest ones to buy and provide plenty of air for me. You can find them where the cost gets below 50 cents per cartridge.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
kytyree said:
I use one of the versions of the ultraflate with 12g unthreaded CO2 cartridges, they work just fine. They look to be the cheapest ones to buy and provide plenty of air for me. You can find them where the cost gets below 50 cents per cartridge.
+1

I wouldn't use CO2 if I had to buy threaded cartridges. Way too much $$.

·
Registered
163 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
I quite sure that all those Walmart air gun cartridges are 12 gram and probably won't fit the OP's 16 gram injector. - TF
I can get a 700x23 inflated to 90 pounds with a 12 gram.

mikespug said:
I believe that it is advertised as "compatible" with both 16 and 12 gram cartridges but I'd imagine that the 12 gram would have to be threaded in order to break the seal. The housing is too large to put any pressure on a 12 gram cartridge.
The 12 grams work fine in the Ultraflate.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
But really, how many do you use a year? I don't think I have used more than 10 in a year, so I am saving maybe $10.
For me, if that. I maybe use 3 or 4/year, so the cost really isn't an issue. I nearly got stranded once with a threadless cartridge. Couldn't tighten the cup enough to puncture the cartridge. Fortunately I had a second cartridge that was threaded. I've since gone to a 'nano' head which requires threaded and doesn't use a cup. I like it a lot, and it gives me a lot more room in my wedge for other stuff.

I pre–wrap my cartridges in cloth tape to keep my sweaty fingers from freezing to them, but that has never been a problem. (added bonus of keeping them from clanking together)
I use spent inner tubes.

·
Registered
674 Posts
mikespug said:
Easily solved by stuffing some paper/cardboard/rock/pick your filling material of choice at the bottom of the housing to take up the extra room. Been there, done that. And yes, $8 for a box of 25 cartridges at Wal-Mart...come on, no LBS can beat that.Around here they sell singles for $1-$3!!!!!

Interesting side note: Last time I bought a box of them at Walmart they asked me for ID (guess 'cause they're used for BB and paintball guns). The guy was perplexed when I told them that any kid could buy them at a bike shop without ID..." Really???Now why would a bike shop sell them???"

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Dr_John said:
For me, if that. I maybe use 3 or 4/year, so the cost really isn't an issue. I nearly got stranded once with a threadless cartridge. Couldn't tighten the cup enough to puncture the cartridge. Fortunately I had a second cartridge that was threaded. I've since gone to a 'nano' head which requires threaded and doesn't use a cup. I like it a lot, and it gives me a lot more room in my wedge for other stuff.

I use spent inner tubes.
I've only had one flat since last September (please don't punish me tire gods), so the incremental cost of a threaded cartridge isn't a factor. it's more important to me to have a functional inflator.
cramming rocks and paper into a cup in order to pierce the cartridge is not worth saving a buck, IMHO.

·
Registered
674 Posts
millerinva said:
I've only had one flat since last September (please don't punish me tire gods), so the incremental cost of a threaded cartridge isn't a factor. it's more important to me to have a functional inflator.
cramming rocks and paper into a cup in order to pierce the cartridge is not worth saving a buck, IMHO.

The one time I did it, I actually used silly putty ...a painless , 1-minute, one-time solution. Since the cup was already modified,I could use all the 12g cartridges I wanted to. It is still functional to this day, with no additional modifications. And while sparing a buck might not have been an issue several years ago, cash is not as plentiful as it once was (at least for me it isn't) so this works great.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Dr_John said:

I use spent inner tubes.
Excellent, thanks!!! Use #3,762 for an aerated inner tube.

zac

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
RC28 said:
The one time I did it, I actually used silly putty ...a painless , 1-minute, one-time solution. Since the cup was already modified,I could use all the 12g cartridges I wanted to. It is still functional to this day, with no additional modifications. And while sparing a buck might not have been an issue several years ago, cash is not as plentiful as it once was (at least for me it isn't) so this works great.
I've heard that a penny in the bottom of an Innovations Ultraflate cup converts it perfectly for 12g cartridges. I don't have any 12g cartridges, but might get one just to try :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.