Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I type this I have to admit that I dreamt up this question while sitting at my desk and without either headset in front of me, so maybe there's a really simple answer I'm missing:

I'm doing a semi-retro build with a frame that calls for an 8-spd DA gruppo. Problem is, the fork is 1" threadless, and being the anal person I am, I'm trying to find a way to get a 1" DA headset on the bike to maintain provenance, which Shimano only made in the threaded version (this was way back in ancient times of 1992.)

So here's my question: Why couldn't I use the crown race, and upper/lower cups from a 1" threaded shimano headset, but then replace the threaded nut-top cap with a plain threadless top cap from a similar fitting headset (assuming I could find a top cap that was the same diameter--campy maybe)? Basically I'd have to find a top cap to hold the bearings in place, and then the stem would sit on top of that to hold it all together.

It's been years since I monkeyed with a threaded headset so I'm not even sure if this is possible, but if it is I'd like to give it a go. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

· Registered
1,860 Posts
kjmunc said:
As I type this I have to admit that I dreamt up this question while sitting at my desk and without either headset in front of me, so maybe there's a really simple answer I'm missing:

I'm doing a semi-retro build with a frame that calls for an 8-spd DA gruppo. Problem is, the fork is 1" threadless, and being the anal person I am, I'm trying to find a way to get a 1" DA headset on the bike to maintain provenance, which Shimano only made in the threaded version (this was way back in ancient times of 1992.)

So here's my question: Why couldn't I use the crown race, and upper/lower cups from a 1" threaded shimano headset, but then replace the threaded nut-top cap with a plain threadless top cap from a similar fitting headset (assuming I could find a top cap that was the same diameter--campy maybe)? Basically I'd have to find a top cap to hold the bearings in place, and then the stem would sit on top of that to hold it all together.

It's been years since I monkeyed with a threaded headset so I'm not even sure if this is possible, but if it is I'd like to give it a go. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
While the interface between the headset and the frame or fork is highly standardized, making entire headset assemblies interchangeable, the fit between the individual pieces of the headset varies between different models and manufacturers. And sometimes the fit can vary quite widely - I mean, you could hardly expect the top race from a roller bearing headset to be interchangable with the race from a loose ball headset or a cartridge bearing headset.

Shimano sponsored pro teams that used threadless forks often customize the headsets, converting the threaded top race to threadless by reaming out the threads. You might look into doing something like that. Alternatively, if you really are anal about doing a retro build, why not just use a threaded fork?

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the thoughts.....I'd love to have a threaded fork, but there aren't too many Merckx MX Leader threaded forks floating around for sale. Hincapie's old fork was on eBay last year and I think someone paid over $200 for it....no thanks.

I'll check into reaming the threads and see if that does it. I've got a Campy chorus on there in case all else fails, so it's not the end of the world if it doesn't work out.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
kjmunc said:
Thanks for the thoughts.....I'd love to have a threaded fork, but there aren't too many Merckx MX Leader threaded forks floating around for sale. Hincapie's old fork was on eBay last year and I think someone paid over $200 for it....no thanks.

I'll check into reaming the threads and see if that does it. I've got a Campy chorus on there in case all else fails, so it's not the end of the world if it doesn't work out.
You can just grind the threads off the top nut and use it as a threadless. Postal did this when they were "all Shimano" with an XT (needed a MTB headset to get 1 1/8). I have done it with an Ultegra for 1". Shimano does not make a threadless headset. - TF

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Done!

Thanks to TurboTurtle's advice I managed to get the job done. A word of advice to any one else looking to try this: a carbide tungsten dremel bit is perfect for the job. You basically have to carve out all the interior surfaces of the top nut to fit snug on a 1" steerer.

Would it have been easier just to use a spacer? Sure, but I dig the retro threaded look on my 8spd build, and playing with the Dremel is always fun. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.