Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to cut threads into a 1" steel threadless fork steerer? thereby allowing one to use a quill one inch stem and threaded headset?.................

·
Registered
96 Posts
absolutely,just about any good framebuilder can most likely thread it for you.i have had several threadless forks threaded.there may be a few shops or a machine shop that could do it as well but i have never used either and i figured it best to stick with an established builder so they could tell you if the steerer tube was acceptable for threading.

Scott

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Depends on the fork

ciclisto said:
Is it possible to cut threads into a 1" steel threadless fork steerer? thereby allowing one to use a quill one inch stem and threaded headset?
If the steerer tube is thick enough, it should be no problem. However, if the fork maker was trying to save weight with a thin steerer (plenty thick enough for threadless) it might be too thin to take having threads cut in it. Take it to somebody who knows what they are doing, not just any old Joe with a fork threading die.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,565 Posts
a die is a really hard way to do this...a lathe is the correct way to thread a tube (if it's wall thickness is great enough to allow threading w/o compromising strength)...

·
Registered
58 Posts
As the other guy said...

it might work if there is enough material there. I have looked hard at the steerers of three of my bikes, and all of them were quality steel steerers that were far too thin to be cut. Be really careful about this, or you'll do a Hincapie into a ditch somewhere.

ciclisto said:
Is it possible to cut threads into a 1" steel threadless fork steerer? thereby allowing one to use a quill one inch stem and threaded headset?.................

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
appreciate the help, would not have though of the thickness thanks, also a lathe seems the better option if I do this. the fork is a colnago precisia .

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Chances are, a non-threaded steerer is not thick enough to be threaded. Even using a thread die (which, BTW, you do NOT have laying around the house), you will produce stress concentration zones at the bottoms of the thread radius, which is exactly where it will eventually fail. Do this at your own risk, with the understanding that it will likely fail catastrophically some day just when you really, really need it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts