Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Squalor
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this possible?

My bike has a threadless fork with a bolt on stem.

I want to make it threaded and use a quill type stem,

Can I have the threads cut into my existing fork (steel steerer) or do I need to buy a new fork?

Thanks

LP

·
Registered
232 Posts
New fork

lanpope said:
Is this possible?

My bike has a threadless fork with a bolt on stem.

I want to make it threaded and use a quill type stem,

Can I have the threads cut into my existing fork (steel steerer) or do I need to buy a new fork?

Thanks

LP
You need a new fork (good luck if you got 1.125" steerer which is standard now days), new threaded headset (not going to happen with an integrated headset setup), and of course the stem.

:thumbsup:

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
lanpope said:
I was scared you were going to say that.

Why can I not just have a machine or bike shop cut the proper threads into my existing steerer? My fork is all painted to match and stuff...

LP

cuz it's a PITA and the steerer walls may be too thin... and if it's a 1-1/8" fork it won't work anyway since threaded steerers/HS/HT are 1"

btw, you might also need new bars if you currently have 31.8s- quill stems are typically 26.0 (or sometimes 26.4 or 25.4)

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,520 Posts
lanpope said:
I was scared you were going to say that.

Why can I not just have a machine or bike shop cut the proper threads into my existing steerer? My fork is all painted to match and stuff...

LP
IF it's a 1" steerer, and IF you have a standard (that is, not an integrated style) headtube, you can do as you suggest and have threads and keyways cut.

But those are two mighty big ifs. A 1" steerer and conventional headset would have a high likelihood of already being a threaded setup, on account of it being mostly the luddites that build that way nowadays. Not that there's anything wrong with a 1" setup - it actually has some considerable advantages - but it's simply not what's 'in' at the moment.

·
Squalor
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
danl1 said:
IF it's a 1" steerer, and IF you have a standard (that is, not an integrated style) headtube, you can do as you suggest and have threads and keyways cut.

But those are two mighty big ifs. A 1" steerer and conventional headset would have a high likelihood of already being a threaded setup, on account of it being mostly the luddites that build that way nowadays. Not that there's anything wrong with a 1" setup - it actually has some considerable advantages - but it's simply not what's 'in' at the moment.
Now we are getting somewhere.

I do in fact have a 1" steel steertube fork. And I do not have an integrated headset (why were those things ever made anyway).

My bike is an Independent Fabrication Club Racer that has a 1" headtube and matching fork. I.F. made the bike threadless. I've got about 10,000 miles on the bike and I really have wanted it threaded since I got it.

I use the bike for fast group road rides and for day long slow-pace jaunts. I would like to be able to slam the bars for the thrill rides and then jack the bars up for those (much more) fun rambling rides. Right now I am compromised on both.

I think a threaded stem and fork are the answer.

Any input?

LP

·
Registered
995 Posts
Just flip the stem when you need to. Or even easier, just switch the spacers around as need be for different rides. It's a steel steertube so it's plenty tough to be clamping and unclamping the stem. Just make sure you've got a good quality stem and maybe invest in a torque wrench so you don't overtighten things. I would do that and chances are that you'll find a stem position which will keep you happy all of the time. I would not go back to the good old days of the quill stems. To be stiff at all they had to weigh more than an average anchor.

·
Registered
232 Posts
OK, you got a 1" and IF is smart enough to not go the "integrated" way. Still, most steel steerer forks designed for threadless have thinner walls on the steerer than threaded forks.

Did you also happen to notice this on Rivendell's Page:

With a shim you can use any 1.125" threadless stem on a 1" threadless steerer. You might also contact a local bike builder, most can and often will braze you a nice steel stem to match your bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.