Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was the first time adjusting a threadless headset after putting a new stem on. Read Park's headset tutorial in redundancy and after a few tries, I think I finally got it. BUT...I'm not 100% since this was my first. I don't feel any play in the headset when doing the front brake test, the steering feels "right".

Trying to describe as best possible:

Lightly snugged the stem to the CF steerer.
Installed the expansion plug, tightened it so that it felt pretty firm and installed the top cap.
Pre-loaded the bike while pushing down on the stem to remove any additional slack.
Began turning the top cap and when the plug creaked in the steerer (Indicating to what I felt was the bearings snugged and now trying to pull the expansion plug up.) I torqued the steerer bolts to 4.5 nm. (5 nM is max.)

Does ths seem right?
Any tips on the "feel" when making these adjustments?
Should I snug the steerer bolts to the 5 nM max?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
Kuma601 said:
Lightly snugged the stem to the CF steerer.
Installed the expansion plug, tightened it so that it felt pretty firm and installed the top cap.
Pre-loaded the bike while pushing down on the stem to remove any additional slack.
Began turning the top cap and when the plug creaked in the steerer (Indicating to what I felt was the bearings snugged and now trying to pull the expansion plug up.) I torqued the steerer bolts to 4.5 nm. (5 nM is max.)

Does ths seem right?
why did you snug the stem on the steerer before you adjusted preload on the bearings? just put the stem on and leave it loose. put the expander in the steerer tube and tighten. then push down on the stem as you did, and if there's no play, just snug down the top cap. don't make the plug creak in the steerer, it doesn't tell you anything about how the bearings are adjusted. just get it tight enough so there's no play in the bearings. and sure, tighten the bolts to the specified torque...if it's 5nm, then go to 5nm.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I had the stem snugged enough so it wouldn't get out of position. After doing the drill a handful of times, I got the hang of it. :)

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
nice! when people first start messing w/ threadless, remembering to back off the clamp bolts seems to be the problem...once you've done it a few times you'll be able to adjust one in seconds.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Pre-load

Kuma601 said:
I don't feel any play in the headset when doing the front brake test, the steering feels "right".

Does ths seem right?
The standard method is to tighten the top cap (with stem loose) until the steerer starts to bind, and then back off slightly. This can be double-checked by forcing the front wheel back and forth with the brake locked to check for play.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts