Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Eat fried chicken.
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was my second time doing this brevet. It's a fantastic route. Unfortunately this year I had some problems with cramps from pushing it too hard during the first 100k. Also the weather wasn't as nice. It was super soggy on the climbs up the capes. I was fortunate in that while I was fatigued I didn't not experience anymore cramps. Oddly, in spite of the cramps and soggy weather I finished an 1.5 hrs faster than last year. Next up is a 400k.

Here are some photos:

·
Eat fried chicken.
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pictures

I don't know why but all the photos didn't upload. Let's try that again.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
The coast of Oregon.

Very nice.

300k instead of a Fleche?

Our Brevet season doesn't start for a couple of weeks.

·
Eat fried chicken.
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MB1 said:
The coast of Oregon.

Very nice.

300k instead of a Fleche?

Our Brevet season doesn't start for a couple of weeks.
I doubt I'll be doing a Fleche this year. My main goal is to achieve "super randonneur" status (ie,compelte 200k, 300k, 400k and 600k brevets). I'm also trying to do all the rides in 70% of the time alloted although I don't think that's going to happen witht he 600k as it's super hilly.

Do you and the Mrs ride with DC randonneurs? I know the two of you put in big miles, will you do the longer brevets?

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
dfltroll said:
...Do you and the Mrs ride with DC randonneurs? I know the two of you put in big miles, will you do the longer brevets?
Ya, we used to ride with them almost every weekend but after a while we decided they drive too much. Now we mostly just ride from home and only meet them when they start a ride from someplace we can ride to the start.

Brevets and the Flesch? Not so much any more, again we can just do the same thing riding from home and some of the rules just seem stupid (to us). Still, riding with the Randonneurs was one of the best things we ever did for our cycling.

We might start to ride with the Florida Randonneurs-a great way to expand our knowledge of the area.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
What a beautiful place to ride. I'd love to do that, over 3 days.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Beautiful! I`ve never ridden a brevet and probably never will, but it really captures my imagination and I love the idea (couldn`t care less about racing). Congratulations on your 300s and good luck with the 400.
Why aren`t there any other riders? What`s a fleche?

·
Eat fried chicken.
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From the RUSA website:

flèche vélocio (flesh veh low chi o) - A team ride of 24-hours' duration, usually held over the Easter weekend. Very well attended in France, they are becoming increasingly popular among American randonneurs. A team may consist of three to five machines (a tandem counts as a single machine) and at least three machines must finish together to receive official credit. Each team must choose its own route and may not ride with any other cyclists. A minimum of 360 kilometers must be covered inside 24 hours, with no less than 25 kilometers to be ridden in the final two hours. Flèche routes are point-to-point or a large circuit since any particular stretch of road may be used only once during the event by the team. In French, flèche means "arrow", so the traditional method is to ride from one point to another, like an arrow flying into the bullseye. In France a multitude of flèche teams, having left from various cities and villages, will converge 24 hours later on the bullseye, which is the traditional Easter cycling rally in Provence. (Note there are other events in France with this name as well, eg. the Flèches de France, which are not the same sort of event.

http://www.rusa.org/glossary.html

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Nice shots, thanks for the report. I love the Oregon coast and that area, I keep thinking I should start brevet riding and having ridding some of those roads before that'd be a sweet place to do it. Maybe next season!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.