Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I've gotten my new pair of Sidi's carbons late last year, once I hit about the 25 mile mark on a ride, my right toe starts throbbing. I have to stand a bit to get the pain down some, but it doesn't really stop entirely until I'm done.

If I use another thin pair of socks, it seems to be better. Should I consider (actually already am considering) using some sort of cushion (Dr. Scholls?); or is this a flat out dumb idea. I've went thru the process of making sure the cleats are set up correctly, and it fits exactly like my previous pair did, and they didn't cause me any issues. (Mind you, my left foot is problem free)

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Sounds to me like poor fit. There is no way for a shoe to be exactly the same from one pair to another. Do you have a cheap spare pair of riding shoes around or even MTB shoes to do a little test with?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with my Sidis but I have some physiological issues with the foot in question-an old injury that causes swelling with any activity after an hour or so. But many people have one foot bigger than the other and many people have feet that swell a little, the combination is painful. I don't know what the best solution is, it seems that adjustability is part of it but I think I also need a foot bed that insulates the repeated pressure on the forefoot. I'm considering going to a mega width in a size that will accommodate a heat molded footbed, maybe even a different pedal system.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put in some different insoles, and they helped a ton. I agree with iliveonnitro, that a thicker sock would have had the same benefits. I might try that, as the new insoles changed the fit (heighth) of how my shoe fits now.

·
Meow!
1,449 Posts
I've had the same problem of late with my SIDIs. My right foot is slightly larger than my left but according to my bike fitter, the 40s I wear now should still be big enough. The shoe fits just fine in the winter. In the summer, I start to feel both pain and numbness mostly in my right bike toe and the ball of that foot. My right toe seems to hit the top of the shoe more than the left however (not the tip, but the top). I had the toe box stetched but it hasn't alleviated the problem. The shoe just might be too small (or the toe box too narrow) for summer riding conditions. My left foot feels just fine.

I just got some SOLE footbeds yesterday and tonight will be my first ride with them. I don't know whether they'll help, but they certainly feel better than the original footbeds. I also tried some 3/4 length OTC orthotics that were recommended to me to even out the pressure across my entire foot. My foot felt somewhat better with them but they didn't totally alleviate the pain. If anything, they just gave my foot a little bit more space.

Last year, it helped for whatever reason to put a small piece of thick moleskin under the ball of my foot. This year, that's not doing the trick. I've been reading the numerous threads on foot pain/hot spots on the forums, but there doesn't seem to be any one fix that works for everyone so I know feel like I'm taking stabs in the dark.

·
Registered
239 Posts
toe pain

Not sure how anyone can conclude Sidi fit "usually sucks", there are a lot of happy riders in them, shoe fit is totally personal. Anyways...

A properly fitted insole (I like Sole, Superfeet are also good) is a much better way to get the right fit than a thick sock, especially in warm summer months when foot swelling is already an issue. It will help stabilize the foot when pushing forward, which is often a cause of toe pain, as many a mtb'er can tell you after a long rocky descent. Along the same lines, make sure the shoe is tight enough so the foot is not sliding forward.

Finally, some folks just don' t do well with super stiff carbon soles. Sidi resisted the marketing pull for carbon soles for years for exactly this reason, they felt some sole flex was more comfortable. Maybe you are their poster child....

Cheers,

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
david462 said:
Fit wise, Sidi's usually suck. i hated mine, super tight in the middle of the foot and way too wide at the toe box. specialized shoes fit great.
Uhh... what? :rolleyes:

How could they "usually suck" when I know tons of riders who won't wear anything else?

And wide at the toe box? You must have REALLY strange feet. Between Northwaves, and Sidis, you can probably fit most riders out there because Northwaves have WIDE toe boxes and Sidis have NARROW toe boxes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.