Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is that what it is call? The nut that the thru-axle screw in to. My new frame and wheelset combo didn't include the nut at the rear derailleur hanger. Seller is ignoring my inquire as of now. What is it call? Any good source for online order? It's a DT Swiss C 1800 wheelset (12x142mm) and I'm assuming it's universal?

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
It fell out of the frame?
I never even knew there was a nut in there, I thought the frame droppout was tapped.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
It fell out of the frame?
I never even knew there was a nut in there, I thought the frame droppout was tapped.
That makes two of us. I learn something new every day.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Axles and nuts aren't specific to wheels, they are sized to the frame (and like others, never heard of the nut falling out).

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
I agree, the OP should be contacting the frame manuf to get one that fits. Just any old nut just isn't right!

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
It's 2020...can't you manage an in focus close up? You're gonna need to get in touch w/ the frame seller, DT has nothing to do with this.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
Likely nothing is faulty, you're just missing a part that should have come with frame (not wheels).

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
It's 2020...can't you manage an in focus close up? You're gonna need to get in touch w/ the frame seller, DT has nothing to do with this.
This is almost 2021, and everyone that has a phone thinks it's a camera. It's not, it's a piece of sh*t!

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
This is almost 2021, and everyone that has a phone thinks it's a camera. It's not, it's a piece of sh*t!
Depends on the phone. Mine actually takes pretty good photos.

To the OP: If you provide more light on the subject, a closeup will focus better.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,416 Posts
Looks to me that the recess there is designed for what we call a "Double -D capture nut". Looks like it would be specific to that frame manufacturer.

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
there's a fair chance at least 2 pieces are missing, the nut we are all talking about and possibly a smaller screw that keeps the nut in place so it doesn't just fall out when you don't have a wheel in place. If they only send you the nut, but the nut looks like it has taps where a screw should keep it in place (or if the frame has a place where such a holding screw should exist) keep an eye out for that.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
wow I've never seen a frame where the nut just can fall out so easily like this. For all frames that I've run across, this nut is usually permanently fixed in place. Imagine you're on the road/trail and you take the rear wheel out and this nut go rolling off into the bush. ugh.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hoping that it wasn't a fixed at the factory rather than it fell out before boxing. The frame and wheel set came in a standard bike box with no visible trauma.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
you should get an extra nut then. Somehow I get a feeling you'll need it down the road. It's not like you can just go to some hardware store and buy this nut

·
Registered
940 Posts
It's not uncommon for the 'nut', or 'receiver', or 'threaded insert' to be separate and not built into the frame. It's the same concept as a derailleur hangar. It's a disposable/replaceable part that you can replace if it becomes damaged.

As mentioned, these are proprietary to each frame, so it's probably worth collecting a spare or two, just like with derailleur hangars, when the bike is still new'ish and the parts are easier to source.

Every thru-axle bike I own has a separate 'nut' to receive the thru-axle (Moots Routt RSL, Canyon Endurace, Norco Search XR, Trek Domane).

I think my old RoadMachine may have had the threads tapped into the dropout, but I can't recall for sure.

A couple of examples.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts