Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Neophyte
2,111 Posts
It's usually a separate piece, but I think also usually there's a way to secure it to the frame. Really curious to see what this one looks like, OP can you post a picture when it arrives?

Sucks to have to wait for one piece in the mail when you're trying to do your bike build. Recently got delayed for 2 weeks waiting for a derailleur barrel adjuster. The person who gave me the derailleur had kept the part in case he needed it for his conversion to eTap. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21,436 Posts
It's the same concept as a derailleur hangar. It's a disposable/replaceable part that you can replace if it becomes damaged.

it's probably worth collecting a spare or two, just like with derailleur hangars
Hangar: large building for storing airplanes. Hanger: something from which you hang things. :)

·
Banned Sock Puppet
12,576 Posts
Hangar: large building for storing airplanes. Hanger: something from which you hang things. :)
How do you know he doesn't have airplanes flying into his derailleur. :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Part finally came. The fit is very loose but it's staying put with added retaining compound (no regrets, I hope). Just waiting on the BB and a minor modification on the crank for the PM spider before I complete build.

Attachments

·
Neophyte
2,111 Posts
Thanks for posting, the mystery was killing me personally. Interesting that it's one piece, I agree with other posters that ordering an extra is a good idea.

Did you try it on with the whole wheel including disc in brake caliper before using whatever compound you used? A little play might be necessary to get things seated right before tightening?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Only the thru-axle when I affixed it with retaining component. I assumed that it should be like the front with no zero play. Put the wheel on w/disc & caliper after a day of curing and there's sufficient play for adjustments. Part is on back order but will be ordering a spare along with the hanger once available.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts