Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a little 25 mile ride this morning on our fine country roads. I get about a mile from home and I'm cruising down a slight downhill at 22 or 23 mph. The walking on the other side has a dog on leash, so I'm mostly ignoring it. When I get about even the dog sees me and bounds after me, coming across the road fast. Turns out the owner has the dog on a retractable leash and doesn't have it locked (you can hear it let out line - zzzzzz). It is about even with me and I realize that it might just catch me (to lick or bite is unknown). Then there is a huge thud as a car traveling my direction hits the dog at 40 mph or so. Dog is killed and thrown about 100 feet ahead. I get a small amount of poop splattered on my bike.

Pulled out the cell phone and called the police. They took my statement and sent me on my way after a 20 minute wait. I can feel nothing but relieved If that dog had hit me. I was going down. Why do people use those retractable leashes on a 45 mph road? They have no control then.

That was a weird end to a fun ride.

·
LOOK lover
616 Posts
A friend of mine got taken down by a dog on a retractable leash - the dog actually ran in front of the bike, and the leash hooked the bike. My friend broke his collarbone and trashed his bike. He also broke the dog's back when he fell on it. The dog owner refused to pay for medical/damages and actually tried to get my friend to pay for the dogs medical (dog was paralyzed at the waist). My friend was too nice a guy to pursue any action - I would've sued the dog owner's @ss!

I watch any dog on a leash very carefully.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
That must have been very strange to have happen around you.

That dog owner was clearly at fault. You gotta feel sorry for a dog that has an owner that doesn't train it to not chase and doesn't control it in a dangerous situation.

Glad to hear that you are ok, how did the dog owner react?

·
Registered
638 Posts
XC Roadee said:
more dog stories should end like this

This is the type of attitude that give road riders the reputation of being weenies. Why should more dog stories end like this? If it was a two year old child would you say the same thing? Dogs have the mentality of two year old children, they are for the most part loving, loyal, and do what they can to please their owners. Here the owner clearly failed to keep his dog in check and it unfortunately paid the ultimate price for it's owners mistake.

Given the dozens of times that people have posted complaining about radio shows making comments "that he should have just run over the damm bike rider" it is very ironic that now when it is a dog getting run over that it is A okay.

It's constant weenie posts like the one I have quoted that cause longtime posters like me to just not bother comming around very much anymore.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was pretty sad.

MB1 said:
Glad to hear that you are ok, how did the dog owner react?
She was destroyed. Very, very sad. I'm sure she realized that she had blown it. I hung around to make sure the poor college student who hit the dog didn't get hung out to dry or abused by the dog owner. It was a bad deal all around.

Personally, I'm feeling really, really lucky that neither the dog or car hit me. Pretty close call. Just sitting at work, not getting anything done and realizing how near the edge we all are on the road.

·
returning newbie
23 Posts
Midwestern Biker Dude said:
She was destroyed. Very, very sad. I'm sure she realized that she had blown it. I hung around to make sure the poor college student who hit the dog didn't get hung out to dry or abused by the dog owner. It was a bad deal all around.

Personally, I'm feeling really, really lucky that neither the dog or car hit me. Pretty close call. Just sitting at work, not getting anything done and realizing how near the edge we all are on the road.
Wow! That is a serious bummer. I am so sorry it had to happen to you. I am a dog lover and I realize how the dog's owner must feel. Perhaps some good may come out of it though. Perhaps she will remember to better control her dog when she is out with it. It amazes me to read some of the callous posts like one of the above ("more dog stories should end like this"). The total lack of compassion expressed by someone like that fills me with sadness for the state of the human species. I have heard more than one motorist say the same thing about cyclist/auto accidents...both are equally repulsive.

It is good to hear that the incident attected you in such a way, as bad as it is that it had to happen. I am also glad to hear that you are okay and not too much the worse for wear.

Keep your chin up and be careful out there.

Cheers,

Brian

·
Banned
653 Posts
Count your blessings

You should really be counting your lucky stars or whatever.

Aren't you glad the driver didn't sway off the road to miss the dog and
accidentially nail you on your bike, and THEN say he was sorry.

Go to Vegas and place some bets before the halo shine around you
wears off.

·
Spin Diesel
257 Posts
my point exactly

Road cyclist said:
You should really be counting your lucky stars or whatever.

Aren't you glad the driver didn't sway off the road to miss the dog and
accidentially nail you on your bike, and THEN say he was sorry.

Go to Vegas and place some bets before the halo shine around you
wears off.
BTW thanks for all the flaming responses, I would have been very disappointed with anything less :rolleyes:

better the dog than me, I'm okay with dogs but my life has been put in danger too many times by them and their stupid owners, whether it's on the road or on the MTB trail this weekend where I had to lock em up saturday morning to keep from running over one that decided to run straight at me (No leash)

dog ownership is like parenting, some folks do a fine job of it and others don't, those who don't, deserve to have it taken away from them one way or another. If you or your dog are going to be stupid I'd rather both of you suffer the consequences than me who's just minding my own business. Only person I feel sorry for is the poor driver who's day (and probably vehicle) was messed up due to this

I've ridden past plenty of dogs who didn't even look at me twice while others charge me on sight.

Death to fluffy

·
Registered
150 Posts
When I'm coming upon someone walking a dog, I slow as necessary and announce myself to ensure they've control.

The driver was completely careless/inexperienced; when approaching something like this in a vehicle, you don't know what might happen... take your foot off the gas, apply/cover brake. If the driver's in such a hurry, she she start her trip 20 seconds earlier.

Sounds like this was a bad situation, but could have been much worse.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
I had the same thing happen once except there was no leash. Neither the dog nor I had any idea what happened until it was over. I heard a noise rushing out of a field across the road and had time to look up as a big dog was about 5 feet away and just hauling straight for me. He wasn't barking or anything. A pick up truck killed it 3 feet from me. Yes, it was sad for the dog, but I was so glad the driver didn't flinch. I'm glad you are OK.

·
Banned
381 Posts
cdmc said:
If it was a two year old child would you say the same thing? Dogs have the mentality of two year old children,
What? How can you compare between human and an animal like that? And an everage two year old child won't attack human!!!

I actually feel same way since OP is okay even the dog didn't make it. Yes I do agree that this incident could've had a better ending, but at least there weren't any human casualty. And please, don't ever argue about human and an animal which one comes first.

·
Registered
638 Posts
linus said:
What? How can you compare between human and an animal like that? And an everage two year old child won't attack human!!!

I actually feel same way since OP is okay even the dog didn't make it. Yes I do agree that this incident could've had a better ending, but at least there weren't any human casualty. And please, don't ever argue about human and an animal which one comes first.
What is the problem with the comparision. Dogs have the same intelligence as the average two year old. I.E., when they randomly go running out into the street after an object, it generally isn't the dogs fault, it is the owners fault for failing to restrain them or training them to not do that, not the dogs. If it was a two year old that went "bike" and ran out into the street and was hit by a car, would you blame the two year old? Would you blame the bike rider? What about the driver of the car? No it would be the parent's fault.

Lest you start saying that I have some issue with children or dogs, I have both. I could see either being distracted by a bike. My 130 pound german shepard likes to go see bikes, because he always thinks it is "dad" on the bike. The same is true of my 2 year old. My wife and I are both concious of the this fact and make sure they are in a safe area when walking that they won't inavdertentaly run in front of a bike or car.

Finally, concerning the original poster, he clearly stated that he couldn't tell if the dog was comming to give him a big kiss or take a chunk out of him. He didn't state he was happy about it, actually just reporting what happened without any personal feelings. Based on his follow up posts, I would say he would prefer that it didn't happen. This is in far constrast to XC Roadee and apparently you who think a dog getting killed is apparently a great thing to happen.

·
Banned
608 Posts
XC Roadee said:
more dog stories should end like this
It would have been better if the car would have swerved and hit the owner. That's how these things should really end.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
XC Roadee said:
BTW thanks for all the flaming responses, I would have been very disappointed with anything less :rolleyes:

better the dog than me, I'm okay with dogs but my life has been put in danger too many times by them and their stupid owners, whether it's on the road or on the MTB trail this weekend where I had to lock em up saturday morning to keep from running over one that decided to run straight at me (No leash)

dog ownership is like parenting, some folks do a fine job of it and others don't, those who don't, deserve to have it taken away from them one way or another. If you or your dog are going to be stupid I'd rather both of you suffer the consequences than me who's just minding my own business. Only person I feel sorry for is the poor driver who's day (and probably vehicle) was messed up due to this

I've ridden past plenty of dogs who didn't even look at me twice while others charge me on sight.

Death to fluffy
Dude, honestly. Death to fluffy? I'm currently wishing the Mods werent on the board, and I'm sure they're watching this very close.
You yourself just said "plenty of dogs who didnt even look at me twice."
Should they die?
I think that's kind of ridiculous. Wait. REALLY ridiculous. Dogs serve as companions, making people happy. Dogs help people. Remember 9-11? Was that a bunch of K-9 Units I saw on search and rescue? How many lives did they save?

There are some dogs that should die. I agree. Know what dogs they are? The ones that are in so much pain that living is difficult. The ones who have trouble breathing, or can't breathe, and are blind and deaf. Should they die by getting hit by a car? Hell no. Euthanasia.
The only other case where a dog deserves to die is where it's a dog bite case, where it took a damn big chunk out of someone. And yes, that includes when you're riding along and a dog bites your calf off your leg. But a dog running at you doesnt deserve to die. Many simply chase and don't attack. Do they deserve to die?

That is sick.

·
Registered
202 Posts
cdmc said:
What is the problem with the comparision. Dogs have the same intelligence as the average two year old.
If this was true dogs could talk!

TT

·
Registered
259 Posts
estone2 said:
But a dog running at you doesnt deserve to die. Many simply chase and don't attack. Do they deserve to die?
No, but dogs and dog owner have to be trained that dogs chasing after a bike is simply not to be tolerated. What if the cyclist the dog was chasing was a little kid who swerved in front of the car? It really doesn't take much training to break a dog of this habit if the owner cares enough to take the time. Unfortunately too many dog owners don't care that much.

·
Registered
197 Posts
kids and dogs don't compare

Dogs may have the mentality of a 2-year old (I actually doubt that....apples vs oranges), but I have yet to encounter a toddler human chasing me at 30 mph with his teeth bared and snarling for a showdown. That would be sight, eh?

I had a similiar incident in rural Oklahoma this year. Dog ran out of his front yard into the road totally distracted and fixated on me and got run over by a concrete mixer truck coming the other way. Luckily for me, he got thrown behind me. I felt a little bad for the dog, a little bad for the truck driver, a little bad for the owner who lost his dog.....but I didn't stop, the truck driver didn't stop and I didn't lose any sleep over it (driver probably didn't either). The owner should have kept him fenced or leashed. That simple.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.