Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I like waterboarding...
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to break down and put a rack on my car. I've got a Yakima setup on the Subie but for reasons unknown to me I am conflicted about what to put on my black jetta tdi.

I think the feet from Thule look at little better but thats about where I've stopped. Pricing they are about comparable. Especially if i buy from backcountryracks; though I might purchase from REI.

Thoughts from you guys?

·
Registered
107 Posts
IDK but I have a yakima and its awesome.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,949 Posts
I'd keep everything the same brand, in an attempt to always use the same connectors/hardware.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Biggest factor is if you already own some components from one brand. Otherwise, it's just a matter of picking rectangular or round crossbars.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
i use Thule T2, but they have rust problems, i'm consistently paranoid and have already used up 1 bottle of Rust Oleum rust inhibitor spray on the T2 and i still see some corrosion on the bolts. I'm on my 2nd bottle and i spray it down a day or 2 before it rains.

their "lifetime warranty" doesn't cover rust/corrosion to my understanding.

other than that, the bikes haven't fallen off my hitch yet. and have done about 600 miles on it with 2 road bikes.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I prefer thule's, but they're both good rack systems. I've had my thule bar racks almost 20 years now with no problems, only thing I've replaced have been the rubber feet when I bought new cars. One of the bike racks on it is a yakima, but i like and use the thule one more. My hitch rack for my truck is a yakima, the only reason I bught it over the thule was because it was on close-out and got a good deal on it.

·
Premium Member
5,457 Posts
check out www.cracksandracks.com (an advertiser on this site, sponsors the Car & Biker forum)

I prefer Yakima personally.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been nosing around rack-related threads and have definitely learned some stuff. I think I'd like a hitch rack. While the Thule T2 seems to be the favorite, I think it might not work for me because of it being heavy. I'd like a hitch rack that can be taken off fairly quickly/easily, and, ideally thrown into the trunk. I'm parked on city streets and that thing would get yanked. This would be on a 2010 corolla and I only need to carry two bikes. That thelma from cycleops looks good. What do folks think?

·
\m/{-_-}\m/
787 Posts
I like Yakima better for everything other than hitch racks. I have a Thule T2 hitch rack and I use Yakima for my roof rack.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,949 Posts
teapotter said:
I've been nosing around rack-related threads and have definitely learned some stuff. I think I'd like a hitch rack. While the Thule T2 seems to be the favorite, I think it might not work for me because of it being heavy. I'd like a hitch rack that can be taken off fairly quickly/easily, and, ideally thrown into the trunk. I'm parked on city streets and that thing would get yanked. This would be on a 2010 corolla and I only need to carry two bikes. That thelma from cycleops looks good. What do folks think?
Do corollas even have a hitch?

·
Baltic Scum
1,826 Posts
I have used both and am not favoring one over the other. Ok, round versus rectangular, but really, no discernible differences between the two.

·
Registered
415 Posts
squareslinky said:
Thanks for the thread. I am also looking at racks for my car. Leaning towards Yakima.

+1. Only I am looking for a Hitch rack for my Truck.

·
Registered
663 Posts
FWIW, when I bought my rack earlier this year, Yakima was the only brand with an offering which fit my factory aero crossbars. This isn't a factor if you are buying an entire rack system from scratch, but definitely mattered in my case.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The Yakima Hold Up hitch rack is awesome. It holds 2 bikes by their wheels (not the carbon frame) and can be extended to hold 4.

When folded up it makes an exzcellent 5 mph bumper. A road turkey rear ended me last week. I lost 4 sq in of reflector tape. He lost his entire hood (buckled).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts