Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it is a minor pain but bothers me. I went for a 35 mile ride yesterday and last night I had a pain in my right thumb/palm and right elbow. I must be resting more weight on the right arm. Wrong posture??

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
You might want to check to see if your brake levers / hoods are even. If one is higher or lower, even by a little, that might do it. Try riding with your arms slightly bent at the elbows. If you're a beginner this might take some concentration at first. Your elbows act as shock absorbers when you do this. Try varying your hand position often. Move from the tops to the hoods to the drops etc. That will take the long-term pressure off the nerves, and help to eliminate numbness. Get a good pair of gloves. Personally, I prefer to use gel golves - others hate them. I also use cork bar wrap for its ability to cushion the vibration as well as the exceptional grip I get with it wet or dry. When riding take one hand off the bars, let it hang down at your side and shake it a little. That will help to restore circulation somewhat.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ditto everything that he said... but it also may be that you were gripping too tightly with that hand. I get something similar sometimes if I ride on the hoods a certain way... I end up gripping the hood too hard, to keep the thick shimano shifter from digging into the joint where my thumb meets my hand.

A simple exercise to try out, just to see if it helps, wrap a rubber band or two around the perimeter of your fingertips, and open up your hand. It exercises the extensor (?) muscles, which might help bring muscle balance back to your forearm, helping both your hand, and your elbow.

Just an idea.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,402 Posts
Where's the elbow pain?

Generally pain in the palm tends to be from gripping too hard or compressing the soft tissues in the palm.

And gel tape never really worked for me. If the fit and position isn't right, it doesn't matter how much padding was there, it still bothered me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.