Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m currently reading Bad Blood: The Secret Life of the Tour De France by Jeremy Whittle. Most of what appears in his book I’ve pretty much read elsewhere (either explicitly or between the lines). The big revelation for me is the appalling way Filippo Simeoni was treated by the peloton in the wake of his Armstrong spat on stage 18 of the 20004 Tour. Courageously (or perhaps a little naively) he tried to steal Armstrong’s thunder by attacking two days later on the outskirts of Paris…twice in quick succession. Naturally Armstrong put his boys on the front and brought him back, but what many people don’t know is how he was allegedly spat on by a large number of riders once the peloton had caught up to him.

My conclusion: Thumbs up to Simeoni for having the balls to piss in the Armstrong wind and shame on Armstrong for using the Tour as a forum for a personalising his spat with Simeoni. I would like nothing more than to meet Simeoni over a beer and hear what he has to say about many different things, and nothing less than to meet Armstrong…ever.
Finally, double thumbs up to Simeoni for winning the Italian national road race champs for 2008 ahead of many his compatriots who chose to demean him in such a public way. :thumbsup:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,262 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
That event more or less was the confirmation from Lance that he had something to hide.
Yeah, you see it, I see it. What's with all the fan boys and apologists? I know it's impossible to figure out their logic, but to them, the Simeoni incident can be dismissed as, well I don't know, one would have to ask them....:thumbsup: and btw, who would kick whose a$$ clean?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,480 Posts
gizzard said:
Courageously (or perhaps a little naively) he tried to steal Armstrong’s thunder by attacking two days later on the outskirts of Paris…twice in quick succession.

....

My conclusion: Thumbs up to Simeoni for having the balls to piss in the Armstrong wind and shame on Armstrong for using the Tour as a forum for a personalising his spat with Simeoni.
I'm not a huge Lance fanboy and I don't want to condone what the peleton did, but I don't see the logic in what you're saying. Didn't Simeoni start the use of the Tour as a forum for a personal spat? (Wasn't it a lawsuit?) I took it as just a pissing contest between two thickheaded, type A personalities.

I do think Simeoni's national championship this year kicks ass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,561 Posts
kbiker3111 said:
I'm not a huge Lance fanboy and I don't want to condone what the peleton did, but I don't see the logic in what you're saying. Didn't Simeoni start the use of the Tour as a forum for a personal spat? (Wasn't it a lawsuit?) I took it as just a pissing contest between two thickheaded, type A personalities.

I do think Simeoni's national championship this year kicks ass.
IIRC, it all started because after Simeoni testified about Ferrari's role in his own doping, Armstrong called him a liar and said other negative things in the press. I think Simeoni responded with the threat or did actually sue him for defamation. Armstrong then chased him down when he tried to go in a break during the Tour and did the "keep your lips zipped" sign to him.
 

·
your text here
Joined
·
13,203 Posts
lance didnt like being sued for defamation of character. funny when the shoes on the other foot, eh?

in all the cycling montages of lance powering away, you never see the simeoni incident. i wonder why...

Dwayne Barry said:
IIRC, it all started because after Simeoni testified about Ferrari's role in his own doping, Armstrong called him a liar and said other negative things in the press. I think Simeoni responded with the threat or did actually sue him for defamation. Armstrong then chased him down when he tried to go in a break during the Tour and did the "keep your lips zipped" sign to him.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,241 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
IIRC, it all started because after Simeoni testified about Ferrari's role in his own doping, Armstrong called him a liar and said other negative things in the press. I think Simeoni responded with the threat or did actually sue him for defamation. Armstrong then chased him down when he tried to go in a break during the Tour and did the "keep your lips zipped" sign to him.
The rumor is Lance settled out of court.
http://velonews.com/article/9741
 

·
Still waiting......
Joined
·
1,322 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
To attack the yellow jersey holder on the last day, no matter who that person is, is a POS. Sorry, it's tradition...and you don't break it in cycling.
I don't believe the Lance chasing down Simeoni occurred on the final day of the tour.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
608 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
To attack the yellow jersey holder on the last day, no matter who that person is, is a POS. Sorry, it's tradition...and you don't break it in cycling.
Are you stupid or what? Been listening to too much Ligget and Sherwin without a clue to what they are saying I imagine.

This incident did not happen on the last day. Even if it did, it would not be "attacking the yellow jersey holder." Riders of the caliber of Simeoni, who are two hours down by the end of the TdF, do not "attack" the yellow jersey. They do their jobs for their team by trying to get in breaks that they hope will go to the finish--even on the last day. It is common for a break to reach the Champs d'Elise; it is then sucked up after a lap or two.

Simeoni was with a number of other riders. The only reason he consented to go back to the peloton was because Armstrong's presence made the break impossible to succeed. After Simeoni went back, the rest of the break continued up the road.
 

·
your text here
Joined
·
13,203 Posts
i think hes talking about the incident on the way into paris. he jumped twice, kind of a "you dont scare me" statement and armstrong sent the blue train to chase him down.
i think.

Starts here at 13:34.

fwiw, i was fine with simeoni doin that. its not a RULE you cant attack until paris on the last day. its just not sportsman-like.
then again, neither is threatening a rider in mid-race for something happening off the course...

edit: simeoni also took "most aggresive" the final stage.
 

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
Joined
·
5,758 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
Are you stupid or what? Been listening to too much Ligget and Sherwin without a clue to what they are saying I imagine.

This incident did not happen on the last day. Even if it did, it would not be "attacking the yellow jersey holder." Riders of the caliber of Simeoni, who are two hours down by the end of the TdF, do not "attack" the yellow jersey. They do their jobs for their team by trying to get in breaks that they hope will go to the finish--even on the last day. It is common for a break to reach the Champs d'Elise; it is then sucked up after a lap or two.

Simeoni was with a number of other riders. The only reason he consented to go back to the peloton was because Armstrong's presence made the break impossible to succeed. After Simeoni went back, the rest of the break continued up the road.
Yes, stupid. That's it!

Actually, wrong instance, Mr. Knowitall.

This was when Simeoni was in that break that Armstrong attacked to get into. Everyone in the break b*tched at Armstrong saying it would never stick unless he left, to which Armstrong said he would only leave if Simeoni went with. So, Simeoni had to drop off and the break stuck to the end.

I had to laugh at that situation. That's what happens when you are hated in the peloton...by almost everyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
Yes, stupid. That's it!

Actually, wrong instance, Mr. Knowitall.

This was when Simeoni was in that break that Armstrong attacked to get into. Everyone in the break b*tched at Armstrong saying it would never stick unless he left, to which Armstrong said he would only leave if Simeoni went with. So, Simeoni had to drop off and the break stuck to the end.

I had to laugh at that situation. That's what happens when you are hated in the peloton...by almost everyone.

Any thoughts on why Simeoni is "hated in the peloton"? (which is not quite the case as riders like SImoni, Bettini, Noe, Caucchioli and Baldato all congratulated Simeoni for his actions. Baldato was actually quoted "We are fighting for a sport with rules, but Armstrong hasn't understood anything"). Simeoni is clearly seen as "spitting in the soup" by a fair number riders in the bunch for testifying. I find it odd that Armstrong (and others) were so absolutely bent out of shape when Simeoni never mentioned another rider's name in his testimony - he only discussed his personal dealings with Ferrari. The whole incident gives a rather clear glimpse into the peloton's view on doping - at least at the time...
 

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
Joined
·
5,758 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
weltyed said:
i think hes talking about the incident on the way into paris. he jumped twice, kind of a "you dont scare me" statement and armstrong sent the blue train to chase him down.
i think.

Starts here at 13:34.

fwiw, i was fine with simeoni doin that. its not a RULE you cant attack until paris on the last day. its just not sportsman-like.
then again, neither is threatening a rider in mid-race for something happening off the course...

edit: simeoni also took "most aggresive" the final stage.
Bingo. That's exactly what I was referring to. There were two incidents: stage 18 when Armstrong pursued Simeoni up to a six-man break and basically forced the break to 'request' Simeoni to desist; and two days later when Simeoni attacked alone, twice in quick succession, on the outskirts of Paris in an attempt to upstage Armstrong's 'parade'. Apparently a number of journalists in the media centre applauded Simeoni's 'irreverence'. I would have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,514 Posts
There is a great picture in Bicisport in an article about Simeoni's revenge win in the national champs - Pozzato looks like he's wishing he had a knife to stick him in the back with standing on the podium next to Simeoni. It's pretty clear he would have preferred anyone but him to have won.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
[/QUOTE] I would like nothing more than to meet Simeoni over a beer and hear what he has to say about many different things, and nothing less than to meet Armstrong…ever.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry I would much rather have a beer with a 7 time TDF winner than have a piss party with some pack filler.:thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top