Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm having trouble with something on my bike, and can't pinpoint it. It seems with every wheel rotation there's a thud, I'm feeling it up the seat tube, and not in my hands, which leads me to believe its the rear wheel, but its an aluminum frame so it could be transmitting from anywhere. The rim is in true, brakes are not catching anywhere and the wheel has no bulges anywhere due to weakness or improper tube installment, and there are only about 5-600 miles on them:mad: . Any ideas? Relatively new to biking and willing to try anything, I like messing around with my bike, i've already saved myself probably several hundred in maintenance costs at the LBS by doing it all myself, and thats in just a year of serious riding. Could this be hub related?

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Change the tire.

If that doesn't fit it, check all of the spokes for one loose or broken one.

Does it catch or thump when spinning on a stand?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn't catch on the stand, and it doesnt do it with no weight on the bike...i.e. me standing alongside with a hand on the bars and seat and running, there is no thumping. I'll check the spokes/change the wheel tonight when i have time and see if that does it.

Hopefully this will work, Thanks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I wonder if you have a "wad" of innertube inside the tire...
That's what happened to me a while back, I couldn't figure out what it was and after checking inside, Sure enough there it was. It just gave a different "feel" every time it rolled over that one spot. Hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Acew61 said:
I'm having trouble with something on my bike, and can't pinpoint it. It seems with every wheel rotation there's a thud, I'm feeling it up the seat tube, and not in my hands, which leads me to believe its the rear wheel, but its an aluminum frame so it could be transmitting from anywhere. The rim is in true, brakes are not catching anywhere and the wheel has no bulges anywhere due to weakness or improper tube installment, and there are only about 5-600 miles on them:mad: . Any ideas? Relatively new to biking and willing to try anything, I like messing around with my bike, i've already saved myself probably several hundred in maintenance costs at the LBS by doing it all myself, and thats in just a year of serious riding. Could this be hub related?
Every now and then my cyclocomputer sensor shifts a bit and thumps the magnet on the wheel. You may want to check that if you haven't already.

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
Eyeball it

If this is the tire or rim, you should be able to see it as you spin the wheel - sight along the top of the tire just where it passes under the brake bridge. Often a tire will have some "out-of-roundness" and this may be the problem. It's not likely the hub because there's nothing there that would thump every revolution. Pepe's suggestion about the computer magnet is a possibility as well.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
It's happened to me twice that I can remember. First time it was a defective (I believe) tire that had a lump in it. There was no sign of any damage to the casing cords or the rubber. The second time was my fault. A small part of the inner tube was caught between the edge of the tire bead and the rim. The tube was gradually lifting the tire off of the rim. I stopped in the knick of time and deflated the tube before it could pop.

Al

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Take the wheels off , clean the fork dropouts, clean the quick release, reinstall wheel being sure to tighten thoroughly- often dirt/moisture will get in there.......another thought is that it is the magnet rubbing, or if the magnet is mounted to the spoke nearest the stem (magnet should be on opposite side of the wheel from stem). take off magnet. ride. if it doesn't make noise, you've found it.
thirdly, it may be hub adjustment, but try the first 2 things and let us know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well it was one of the above. I did just about everything everyone suggested. Changed the tire, put a slightly smaller tube in to prevent the wadding, tightened all the spokes up and re-trued the wheel, even tho if anything it was maybe a mm off somewhere, cleaned everything up. Cyclo computer wasnt an issue as it reads off front wheel. Somewhere, one of those cleared up the issue.

Thanks for the help guys!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts