Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so then I was out for a ride, 9 miles from my door and it started raining, sky turned black and I heard rumbling. I turned and headed home as fast as my stubby little legs could go. I pretty much live in the middle of nowhere and there was a bit of lightning. WHERE do you go in a T-storm ?????? There is nothing for miles! I just rode as fast and hard as I could and as it turned out, didn't get struck by lightning.I was pretty much as wet as I could get though, which is not a big deal but the lightning had me a bit worried!

Someone just told me that my tires would insulate me....uh...yeah that electrical charge that just jumped 3 miles from the sky to my head is going to stop and not arc the inch and a half to the ground?????

·
Registered
20,777 Posts
Someone just told me that my tires would insulate me....uh...yeah that electrical charge that just jumped 3 miles from the sky to my head is going to stop and not arc the inch and a half to the ground?????
They don't know what they're talking about. A lightning bolt contains up to one billion volts of electricity. Air is a really good insulator, yet lightning bolts arc through 5 to 100 miles of air.
The 1/2" of rubber in your tires is electrically irrelevant.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/cars-can-be-safe-place-during/17283636

So far in 2014, 7 people have been killed by lightning. One man was struck and killed while riding a motorcycle on May 22, and another was closing car windows as he was fatally struck on May 14.

While a car provides some protection from lightning, as the metal frame directs lightning currents to the ground, vehicles can still be damaged by a strike. Lightning damage to a vehicle includes pitting, arcing and burning along with electrical system issues, the institute said.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Forget the tires. Best bet is to dismount, hold your bike above your head and curse the heavens Caddyshack style. Then, if you're still alive, ride home normally since clearly God has selected another victim for that day.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
WHERE do you go in a T-storm ???
stop, drop, and roll.

curse the heavens Caddyshack style.
Judge Smails: You're drinking too much, Your Excellency.
Bishop: "Excellency," fiddlesticks! My name is Fred and I'm just a man, same as you are.
Smails: You're not a man. You're a bishop, for God's sake!
Bishop: There is no god.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
The advice offered by Chris Carmichael is valid. You essentially have to evaluate your location, situation, and options, and choose the best one. The only thing I'd add is, if you choose to stop, get away from your bike because it may be a better conductor to ground than you are. I wouldn't experiment to find out.

I was once riding to work with no expectation of a morning thunderstorm, when it turned out I was riding right into the thick of it. One bolt of lightning struck so close it scared the pi$$ out of me and my bars started shaking, not to mention the downpour I was in. I rode at prologue TT speed the remaining couple of miles to work, blowing stoplights and stop signs without a thought. One passing car driver paused and gave me the "What, are you nuts?!" look, presumably offering a ride, but I was hell bent and not stopping to pick up Jesus. I was definitely relieved when I arrived.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Ride where there are things that are much taller than you on the bike. Figure a 45 degree angle is within where your % tip into your favor, a little. Get into a bldg.
If there is ... nothing....If lightning is eminent, get into a ditch and lay down, how bad could it be, we all once lived in the wild. If unknown, you can figure the % chance you want to take, if you win that is good. If you loose your not.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,424 Posts
If you were in a car, the body should direct the current around the outside. On a bike.......not so much. The tires on either do little to insulate.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
so then I was out for a ride, 9 miles from my door and it started raining, sky turned black and I heard rumbling. I turned and headed home as fast as my stubby little legs could go. I pretty much live in the middle of nowhere and there was a bit of lightning. WHERE do you go in a T-storm ?????? There is nothing for miles! I just rode as fast and hard as I could and as it turned out, didn't get struck by lightning.I was pretty much as wet as I could get though, which is not a big deal but the lightning had me a bit worried!

I do not like riding when thunderstorms are nearby. If you ride in the Mid-Atlantic area there is always a chance of a pop-up storm in the summer on humid sunny days. I will say that some of my fastest rides have been because of hearing thunder in the distance. The "good" news is that according to NOAA fishing, by far, is the most dangerous activity during a thunderstorm

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do not like riding when thunderstorms are nearby. If you ride in the Mid-Atlantic area there is always a chance of a pop-up storm in the summer on humid sunny days. I will say that some of my fastest rides have been because of hearing thunder in the distance. The "good" news is that according to NOAA fishing, by far, is the most dangerous activity during a thunderstorm
Being on/in a small sailboat is risky too..... Been there, done that!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Carbon is a highly efficient conductor, so no better than riding steel.
we used to tear the old dry cell batteries opened to salvage the carbon anodes for "science experiments"

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OMG. OMG, OMG.....the weather monkeys are predicting dry weather for close to a week!!!!!!!!! No rain or severe weather.

BUT, then again, they are rarely right predicting good weather.

here in the upper midwest, we have had 34.33 inches of rain ytd. The yearly average for this area is 34

·
Frog Whisperer
40,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
While a car provides some protection from lightning, as the metal frame directs lightning currents to the ground, vehicles can still be damaged by a strike. Lightning damage to a vehicle includes pitting, arcing and burning along with electrical system issues, the institute said.
So all BMWs and VWs were struck by lighting before they make it to dealer lots?

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
I was driving, and as I passed a cross street lightning struck about 75 ft down the street. There ain't no winning to that kind of power.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts