Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you watch the Weather Channel you've probably seen Jim Cantore get all spun up about thunder-snow. I've never experienced it myself - until just now. We have a snow squall passing over us and it produced an awesome flash and thunder. Wife and I were doing the Jim Cantore dance around the living room

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'd never heard of it, we don't get much in the way of snow here (like none where I actually live), but we were visiting the US/NY for christmas 2009 when a blizzard hit, and yeah it was going off as we were wandering around shopping. Got back to hotel and they were all on bout thundersnow. Was epically cool (it just the thundersnow, but the blizzard)

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Had that the first Winter we lived in Iowa - it was a storm with white out conditions. Thunder and lightning flashes, my wife didn't believe me when I said thundersnow so she googled it. Pretty amazing to experience!

·
Registered
518 Posts
:Yawn: We get thundersnow every 2-3 years here. I've seen it more times than I can remember. Never understood why Jim Cantore got so excited about it.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:Yawn: We get thundersnow every 2-3 years here. I've seen it more times than I can remember. Never understood why Jim Cantore got so excited about it.
Where do you live? I had to wait 54 years for my first thundersnow so it's kinda a big deal to me

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I heard it once a couple years ago. I knew it was rare but I didn't realize it was such a profound thing to behold.

I've seen lots of double rainbows too.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Yeah! I love it! We've had it a few times. I thought it was because we are so close to the ocean. I guess that's not at play at all. We had thunder ice/hail/sleet some years ago when lightening hit my barn and put 3 holes in it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts