Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
I have a Merckx Ti AX with a Mondonico steel fork on it.

Rides like a dream, better than the CF fork that used to be on it.

I'll see if I can find some pics.

· Registered
2,009 Posts
I'm getting a Ti frame and building it up. I never thought about a steel fork! I already have a new carbon fork with a carbon steerer that I was going to use. My goal was to keep it light. Now you guys are saying you can tell the difference in the ride between a steel fork and a carbon fork? What about a carbon fork and a ti fork? I don't even know if they make a ti fork.

· Registered
233 Posts
Never heard of a Ti fork. I've ridden carbon forks; they seem less authoritative when carving on fast descents, and less forgiving on rough roads. Might be my geometry, however. I doubt the weight difference is more than 300g.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
Beethoven said:
Never heard of a Ti fork. I've ridden carbon forks; they seem less authoritative when carving on fast descents, and less forgiving on rough roads. Might be my geometry, however. I doubt the weight difference is more than 300g.

oh they make 'em alright... some for mtb applications had a bad habit of cracking

· Registered
232 Posts
Morati made a Ti road fork...not sure they exist or have a US distributor anymore (Tufo was their distributor). I rode their ti cross fork and it was not the noodle I expected it to be...it was actually a nice ride.

Ti Cycles in Seattle will also make a ti road fork, but they are stupid expensive ($850)

· Registered
453 Posts
i have a tst ti frame with straight blade steel colnago forks. don't notice any difference in comfort compaired to my cf forks on steel frame. i wanted chrome steel forks to match the polished to frame also keeping the 'metal' theme thing happening. also when descending like the clappers and i look down and see the cf forks soakin' up the bumps( flexin and twitchin like havin a fit) i just go numb and prey for this peice of plastic not to fail now. steel makes me feel safe on a bike again.:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.