Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
What you get by dealing with someone like PedalForce or Habanaero is post-sales service. For example, mhy first PF frame had a big glob of epoxy in the head tube that would prevent headset installation. PF sent me a replacement before they received the returned frame. Manufacturing issues happen, I understand. PF is still around and I am confident that if my frame had a manufacturing defect show up now, it would be warrantied.

This ebay seller states explicitly "no returns". So you'd be taking a chance that the frame is straight, no defects, and no defects that show up later. Personally I would rather spend a little more for a Habanero (if I wanted Ti, which I don't) or a PedalForce and get the service that comes along with that. Plus with a Hab you can get custom.

·
abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
I agree with others--get a Habanero, or even the Lynskey which is still a bargain for Ti. I used to ride with a guy who has the Habanero and he really likes it.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
I saw those on eBay too--I was hoping some RBR'r would buy one & try it out--like the bargain carbons...

Easy to say--spend twice as much--but cheap has its attractions.

In my case, I was thinking a bargain touring bike with S&S couplers, if the frame was decent...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ericm979 said:
What you get by dealing with someone like PedalForce or Habanaero is post-sales service. For example, mhy first PF frame had a big glob of epoxy in the head tube that would prevent headset installation. PF sent me a replacement before they received the returned frame. Manufacturing issues happen, I understand. PF is still around and I am confident that if my frame had a manufacturing defect show up now, it would be warrantied.

This ebay seller states explicitly "no returns". So you'd be taking a chance that the frame is straight, no defects, and no defects that show up later. Personally I would rather spend a little more for a Habanero (if I wanted Ti, which I don't) or a PedalForce and get the service that comes along with that. Plus with a Hab you can get custom.
I talked to Steve @ Habanero who said I should talk to Mike (?) about geometry that might work for me. They sound reliable and their prices are good. $900 for a stock frame, $1300 for custom. I'm going way over budget but at least I'll get a bike that I really want and it'll last forever. I'll check out PF too.

Cool.

·
Banned
446 Posts
myitch said:
I talked to Steve @ Habanero who said I should talk to Mike (?) about geometry that might work for me. They sound reliable and their prices are good. $900 for a stock frame, $1300 for custom. I'm going way over budget but at least I'll get a bike that I really want and it'll last forever. I'll check out PF too.

Cool.
The name is MARK and he is the owner and the genius behind the Habanero line. Yes they're constructed overseas but to his (or if you insist - yours) measurements.

Habaneros are as good as anything you can get and Mark stands behind them.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Where is it produced?

Who produced it?

Under what circumstances was it produced?

How can they afford to sell it at that price?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, $650 with no "local" support is scary. I'm really liking that Habanero with the good price for custom fit. I think there's a guy from China on eBay who sells ti frames that also may be the one producing the Habanero's. That's worth a look-see too especially for his return policy.

·
Registered
296 Posts
There's no support for it but the seller has a perfect feedback record and the deal is relatively good.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
Maybe it's the shine from the flash but the mitering and the welds at the bottom bracket look like ass to me.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,137 Posts
TWB8s said:
Maybe it's the shine from the flash but the mitering and the welds at the bottom bracket look like ass to me.
I think the welds on both frames are outstanding. I'm planning on upgrading from my steel steeds. Worth a look see, methinks.

·
Registered
298 Posts
SDV is a company that tried to get on the market here in Quebec, Canada selling oversea-sourced titanium frames. Those frames are overstock liquidation sale I think. I am also pondering on getting one... but am unsure if the STA is proper for me =(

Their website is sdvti.com (hope that is not considered as spam...)

I have no affiliation whatsoever with them =)

-CR

·
Registered
42 Posts
The welds look lousy compared to my Seven's welds, especially at the bottom bracket. That does not mean it can't ride like a good bike, but I would be worried about longevity. If you are buying Ti to last the rest of your life, that frame may not be a good choice. I found that some Ti bikes were made to feel stiffer and more uncomfortable than early aluminum bikes, when I was test riding them.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts