Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
It probably depends a lot on the design of the stays. The company that made my wife's frame (Enigma) offers carbon stays as a way to stiffen the rear end to produce a more race oriented frame. Based solely on this example, I would say they don't smooth out the ride but may offer other advantages depending on what you are looking for. The more common claim for carbon stays is that they reduce "road buzz" by damping out high frequency vibration.

·
Registered
21,544 Posts
Hyping it

tonkabaydog said:
Do Carbon Fiber seat stays and chainstays on Ti bike smooth the ride out... or is it marketing hype?
Design details are everything, and material choice is a third level effect.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I lack lots of understanding as far as bike frame development, however, here is why I think its hype...

If you want a "race" bike, then buy a carbon bike.

If you want a plusher bike that will likely last longer, buy a titanium bike.

Why would you want a bike with a combination of these features (I know..I know...lots of people do...let me explain)?

Right from the get-go, a combo carbon/titanium bike isn't going to be as tough as the titanium bike (and yes, I mean "crash and bang resistant"), and the titanium bike isn't going to stand up to a high dollar carbon racer. If you really do want a "plush racing bike (huh?)", then this can be accomplish, in my mind, with just titanium, or just carbon, without losing much of the advantages that either of these materials offer by themselves. So, again, in my mind, a combo bike...

Why?

ADD: I'm always open to being corrected. Any maker of a combo bike, just send me a frame and I'll test it for free :D, I won't charge you a thing (I know, darn nice of me). If it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, I'll let everyone here know.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I will be sure and let the Moots guys know that the RSL can not stand up to a carbon 'race" bike ;)

It's not about the material, rather the application.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Ti Bike

tonkabaydog said:
Do Carbon Fiber seat stays and chainstays on Ti bike smooth the ride out... or is it marketing hype?
One of the benefits of a Ti bike is its long term durability and the fact that if you buy a frame that fits you well it is likely you will be riding it for well over a decade. Even if crashed it can often be repaired rather than some of the disposable frames of late made from aluminum or carbon.

The idea of putting carbon seat stays on a Ti frame defeats this whole idea. Between the fact that you cannot repair the carbon fiber seat stays plus the potential problems associate with bonding the carbon to the Ti makes this a bad idea. If a Ti frame fits your goals and budget do not muck it up with carbon.

If you want to smooth your ride out look at your tires and consider their width and inflation.

Christoph said:
If you want a "race" bike, then buy a carbon bike...
Well with that statement you pretty well blew any credibility with the rest of your comments.

·
Registered
96 Posts
gearguywb said:
I will be sure and let the Moots guys know that the RSL can not stand up to a carbon 'race" bike ;)

It's not about the material, rather the application.
Whatever my clumsy wording above, the Moots RSL kind of proves my point. Great, I dare say probably a fabulous bike, and all titanium. Race-able I'm sure, and no need to create a frankenbeast carbon/titanium combo frame.

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,378 Posts
I would actually be more concerned about the bonding point between the two materials being a weak point more prone to failure. Either all or nothing. Why glue them together?

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Marketing hype. On top of that, chain stays are probably the most likely tubes on a carbon frame to get damaged due to chain wrap, wheels rubbing, etc.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Although I have an all ti bike, I don't have any concerns about bonding the carbon parts together. The Airbus that took me overseas at 40,000 feet has more bonded parts than that Seven and is operating under more demanding conditions.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I currently have an alu frame with carbon seatstays and can definitely say that the wishbone stays *do not* soften the ride significantly; the frame is very stiff in all directions - too stiff for me. My old (1991) Specialized Allez Epic with small diameter carbon stays is vastly more comfortable, and an even older custom 531 Pro frame is very nearly as comfy as the Allez.

As a result, I am looking for a new road frame... Ideally, I'd like a 57cm Lemond carbon, but they're like hens teeth; still, they fit me well, are very stiff *and* comfy over bumps. FWIW, I've also been impressed with the ride of Bianchi's carbon frames, but they don't fit me all that well. I haven't been too impressed with the feel of Treks, but YMMV and they obviously work.

If it was me I'd go for Ti stays as they should be both more tunable (if it's a custom) and more reliable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts