Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding today and pulled on the right Tiagra 9 speed shifter/brake lever to stop myself and then when I let go it didn't go all the way back and seat itself. I had to manually push it back and it goes back further now but doesn't snap back and click, it still stays 1/4" to 1/2" away from the body. I disconnected the brake cable and it didn't help, so I pulled it out about 8" to see if it was frayed and it wasn't, and with the cable out 8" it still didn't snap back. It shifts fine. I may leave it out and adjust the brakes to compensate for it. I took it to a LBS and he looked at it real quick and said he didn't know, never saw it before, he said if it shifts ok, just adjust the brake cable and go with it.

Any suggestions other than replacing it? Squirt some WD40 in it?

· Larry Lackapants
698 Posts
Well the lever has a spring and the brake has a spring. both are pulling the same way so the lever should reach its normal position once it's not squeezed any more.
therefore
1 - pull out the cable completely
2 - check that it's a "road" type cable and not a mtb one. i.e. the stopper of cylindrical shape and the cable going out from the center of a base of the cylinder
3 - Without the cable check that the brake lever returns to it's initial position.
If not, you might want to take it to a shop, or disassemble the lever arm + shifting mech from the brake body, and check on the return spring if it's intact and still there...

4 - Put the cable back through the brake lever in it's housing.
take care to pull it through it's "carriage" (if that part is called like this)
It's the part having a hole and two rollers on the side which will hold the cable stopper
Pull on the loose end and check that the brake lever sits in it's normal position.
Squeeze the brake and check that the cable stopper is almost fully inserted into the carriage.

5 - fasten loose end of the cable inside the brake. check that the brake travel before the calipers contact the wheel , is the desired one.

if step 4 fails with the previous being correct, you probably aren't using the right type of cable or it's not set right onto the cable carriage..

good luck
br

· Registered
21,834 Posts
WD-40 solution

lawrence said:
Riding today and pulled on the right Tiagra 9 speed shifter/brake lever to stop myself and then when I let go it didn't go all the way back and seat itself. I had to manually push it back and it goes back further now but doesn't snap back and click, it still stays 1/4" to 1/2" away from the body. I disconnected the brake cable and it didn't help, so I pulled it out about 8" to see if it was frayed and it wasn't, and with the cable out 8" it still didn't snap back. It shifts fine. I may leave it out and adjust the brakes to compensate for it. I took it to a LBS and he looked at it real quick and said he didn't know, never saw it before, he said if it shifts ok, just adjust the brake cable and go with it.

Any suggestions other than replacing it? Squirt some WD40 in it?
Yes, try the WD-40 option. If, after removing the cable, the lever doesn't return it is either gunked up or the spring is broken. The WD-40 will clean out the gunk, if that is the problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.