Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I need to tighten up the cable on my front dérailleur. Normally this would be a 15 second job. Find barrel adjuster, twist, done. STI shifter are still new to me so maybe I am missing something. All of the other components have the adjuster directly on the component, except the front. So am missing something?

·
Registered
232 Posts
sometimes there is an inline adjuster

sometimes there is an adjuster at the downtube cable stop

If you have neither...I'd install one of the inline adjusters...they're about $10

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Many bikes with the cable stop on the head tube, come without an adjuster. I have a Giant like that. Instead of placing in inline adjuster at the STI lever, I placed it near the head tube.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm I have one of those (inline adjuster VERY similar the picture). I will toy with that tonight. Anything I should know about adjusting them?

This is my first new bike in 5 years (and that was a mountain bike ). I feel like I have been in a cave!

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Unless you run some outer cable housing all the way to the front derailleur (like on really crappy dept. store bikes), there's no way to put a barrel adjuster directly on a front derailleur. Even the Dura-Ace FD-7900 doesn't have a barrel adjuster . . . .:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.