Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
im new to this forum, though im reading here and there for quite a while.

The reason im writing is that i got a front shifter problem.
Some days ago when i adjusted the front derailleur with the screws for the max/min position the shifter got somehow stuck. I could shift to the bigger chainring, but from there on it was just stuck, the lever to shift down was kind of stuck, feeling like i would break it when i press to hard.
So i loosened the cable in the derailleur because i thought there might be too much tension on the cable, but it didnt help. Now the cable is completely loose and the shifter still doesnt give me a click. Both directions seem to be stuck now.
As i need to change the cable anyway i have the problem that i cant get the cable out of the shifter, becuase id have to shift to the max position, which is simply not possible.

Does anybody have some advice on how to get this damn thing working again? The sun came out and itd be lovely weather for riding... :)

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Are you sure it's the shifter that is stuck and not the cable? A destructive test would be to cut the cable off close to the shifter and see if the shifter works then; maybe others more experienced will have better suggestions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
yeah, i already cut the cable from the derailleur, so i can move the cable freely...
I just cant get it out of the shifter because in order to remove it, you have to put the shifter to the max position, which is not possible right now...
Looks like i should buy a new bike anyway ;)

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
i have an older set of tiagra shifters and something like this has happened for the rear. in my case, i could shift with the brake lever and the smaller shifter wouldnt work. i, too, felt like forcing it would break it. there is a real feeling of dread when you realize you can only shift to an easier gear.

what i ended up doing was freak out a bit, try to shift a few times, then i just used it as a brake lever for a minute or so. after that, one hard shift and it worked again. that is the only trouble i have ever had with my tiagra shifters, and it has happened about 3 times in 3 years.

·
Registered
416 Posts
rrr said:
...in order to remove it, you have to put the shifter to the max position, which is not possible right now..
FWIW, it needs to be in the minimum position to remove it. The only time mine was stuck this way was after installing on a different bike. The cable end was not seated properly in the brifter.

Also, in order to get it to the minimum position there needs to be tension on the cable for it to 'unwind' from the brifter.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Look at the underside of the shifter and see if there is a loose or missing screw.

Before throwing the shifter in the trash peel the rubber back on the shifter and try working the mechanism with a screw driver while working the smaller shift lever to expose the cable end. Then pull the cable out threw the shifter.

Do not disassemble the shifter.

Al

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone and thanx for your help,

so far, i checked everthing. the scre is still there, i tried working the mecvhanism with a screwdriver and i also put tension on the cable again, but the position of the cableend in the shifter wont move a millimeter.
I really dont know how to remove the cable at all...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.