Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Grey Manrod
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have small hands, and when I'm in the drops, I have a hard time reaching the brake levers. Didn't really notice until I was barelling down a hil at 30+ this weekend and needed to stop. I searched the forum and from what I've read, it would appear that:

1.) Specialized makes shims, but they don't fit Tiagra shifter/levers.

2.) Unless I can use the shims, it will cost $$$ to fix this problem.

I can't afford a costly upgrade right now. Any one else make shims? Any alternatives that I don't know about?

Why can't the brain trust at Shimano figure out how to (gasp) make adjustable -reach levers???? :mad:

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
One way, cheap.

I have small hands. To effectively reduce reach, I adjust my brake pads so they're a little further away from the rim than recommended. This allows you to easily pull the levers towards the bars with one finger with the brake pads almost making contact with the rim. Should you need to brake, the levers will be close at hand. Just make sure the levers or shift paddles don't bottom out on the bars at a full-out panic stop.

Believe it or not, a number of amateur and pro racers like their brakes set up that way.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Brick Tamland said:
I have small hands, and when I'm in the drops, I have a hard time reaching the brake levers. Didn't really notice until I was barelling down a hil at 30+ this weekend and needed to stop. I searched the forum and from what I've read, it would appear that:

1.) Specialized makes shims, but they don't fit Tiagra shifter/levers.

2.) Unless I can use the shims, it will cost $$$ to fix this problem.

I can't afford a costly upgrade right now. Any one else make shims? Any alternatives that I don't know about?

Why can't the brain trust at Shimano figure out how to (gasp) make adjustable -reach levers???? :mad:

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Why don't the shims fit Tiagra levers?

You can also use something like the feet that go under electronics to use as shims. See pic. I have also drilled/tapped them and installed screws, but it was overkill.

Shimano does make a shimmed lever, but they are way too expensive. The Sora is adjustable.

Some of the newer bars actually do move the lever closer. See the 3T Eva.

TF

·
Grey Manrod
9,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TurboTurtle said:
Why don't the shims fit Tiagra levers?

You can also use something like the feet that go under electronics to use as shims. See pic. I have also drilled/tapped them and installed screws, but it was overkill.

Shimano does make a shimmed lever, but they are way too expensive. The Sora is adjustable.

Some of the newer bars actually do move the lever closer. See the 3T Eva.

TF
According to Specialized and other info I've found, the shims fit only 105 and up.

I can't really tell from the pic - what did you use for the shim? The rubber feet? And you just sort of wedged them in there?

Thanks, all.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
Brick Tamland said:
According to Specialized and other info I've found, the shims fit only 105 and up.

I can't really tell from the pic - what did you use for the shim? The rubber feet? And you just sort of wedged them in there?

Thanks, all.
I'll have to look at the Tiagras, but I think they are built the same.

Yes, little rubber feet. The are made to stick to the bottom of electronic gear, etc. Just stick them in there.

Here is is a pic of the drilled/tapped to give you a better idea of what the shim is doing.

TF

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
fouadaswad said:
sorry for the ignorance here, but what the hell are shims???
thanks all
Just something stuck in there to keep the lever part way open. This keeps it closer to the bar and makes it easier to reach. The Specialized and Shimano shims are wedge shaped to look like they actually belong there. Here are the Specialized:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=14922

TF

·
Registered
108 Posts
thanks turbo turtle. always good to learn new stuff.

TurboTurtle said:
Just something stuck in there to keep the lever part way open. This keeps it closer to the bar and makes it easier to reach. The Specialized and Shimano shims are wedge shaped to look like they actually belong there. Here are the Specialized:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=14922

TF

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.