Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1st post. I live in the Var region of Southern France. I am 63 years old and consider myself a relatively strong cyclist. I ride a Specialized S-Works, Roubaix SL3 with full Dura Ace except the pedals which are Ultegra PD 6700 Shimanos.
On Wednesday after 60 km in a 104 km ride I started to hear a small tick every time my right drive side pedal passed the 15:00 hr (3 o'clock) point. I am a very touchy guy when it comes to techie stuff (noises) and stopped several times to check BB, pedal tightness and chain wear no indication of wear but the small tick, tick kept happening with every turn. The tick was definitely coming from the pedal but I could feel nothing.

When I arrived home I put on a set of PD Dura Ace 7800 pedals that I have on my other bike and the noise was gone.

I put the 6700 on the other bike and did not hear a noise.

I even changed shoes before switching pedals and the noice remained.

What are the odds of this being a pedal or BB problem.

Very confused. I have a big race in Vence tomorrow and no time to go to a shop. Any ideas or similar experiences.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Ticking can drive ya nuts. So start with the easy things first.

You changed pedals. And the tick has gone away. But I'm not so sure. Try also tightening your chain ring bolts. Others here will suggest removing and reinstalling your wheels, add a touch of lube to your seat post rails where the seat post grabs them. I have also seen where the cable ferruals stop on a frame, a touch of lube there also. Those get dry and can creak like mad.

Good luck
Bill

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Two more guesses, but that's all they are:

- If you cleat in / out with your right foot, the wear plate might be ready for replacement on the right-foot pedal. When that plate wears past a certain point, it allows the cleat to rock left-right, sometimes producing a click.

- Check cleat screws for tightness.

On the other hand: if I had a race coming up on Sunday, I'd just ignore the click. Over the years, I found that changing or fooling with equipment just before a race can sometimes produce the very thing you're trying to avoid: a serious mechanical. If this is a real race and not just a race-inspired ride, you'll never hear the click.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
... I started to hear a small tick every time my right drive side pedal passed the 15:00 hr (3 o'clock) point.
That is also roughly where your foot passes by the front derailleur. If the shift cable gets bent out... the cable can click on a shoe. Not likely your cause... but another idea.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Welcome Velodaver. From what I am reading, you put different pedals on your Specialized and the noise went away. Then you put the Ultegra pedals on another bike and they didn't make the noise. This may be a silly question, but did you put the Ultegra pedals on the Specialized and try it again? Sometimes pedals do come loose, especially if they weren't put on tight enough the first time. Also, maybe a little grease on the pedal threads could help the issue too. The 1500 position is where you are starting to load up the stress on a pedal axel, which is what makes me wonder about the pedal to crank interface.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi folks, I roade 133km today at an out and back race from Vence in France that included the Col de Vence. I rode the old Shimano Dura Ace SPD Pedals 7800s. Worked like a charm and the only noise was a little creaking that I know comes from the shoe / pedal interface. I use to spray the pedal with water to stop the noise but I must be more tolerant now. The S-Works will go into the new Specialized Concept store that open near here. Just for a little check up.

PS That was one ***** of a course today. Right from the start 9km 9% to top of Col. The rest did not bet better, good thing that I "hardened up" years ago.

I have never been so entertained than when I read that list and viewed the video "Harden the **** Up". I admit to softenening a little since my crash in 2009 and move to France to recover while drinking gallons of ROSE (can you believe that and a harded beer man like me).

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
..... I have never been so entertained than when I read that list and viewed the video "Harden the **** Up". I admit to softenening a little since my crash in 2009 and move to France to recover while drinking gallons of ROSE (can you believe that and a harded beer man like me).
That tag-line / signature was originally used by spookyload. I thought it was appropriate enough for this forum I now use my own version of the spookyload signature [and I hope he doesn't mind]. Glad you enjoyed it... I do myself.

The Harden Up advice was NOT directed towards you... or any particular poster for that matter. In my case... it would be more self-directed to remind me to bicycle even when the weather isn't cooperative.

If I only ride when the weather is nice.... I won't be a cyclist. I'll just be another old man with a bicycle hanging in his garage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.