Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding at White Rock on Monday evening (Apr 24) and was pulled over by the police for running the three way stop sign at Lakewood Blvd and Lawther/Williamson (I'm not sure of this street name). I was coming north over the two hills and the cop was tucked into a side street watching for ne'erdowells like me.

He told me that there had been lots of complaints and that they were going to start ticketing cyclists for running stop signs. While I was being chastised, two or three other cyclists blew the stop sign and the cop was pissed. Luckily he just gave me a warning and told me to tell all my friends.

So watch out when you are out there riding. Getting tickets stink. Getting tickets on your bike really stinks.

PS - Please no rants about how we shouldn't be running stop signs. I've heard it all before and I agree with you.

· Registered
61 Posts
we got stopped there several years ago. the cop told us since we didn't have our id on us that he could take our front wheels and make us walk.
they need to be more worried about all the cars running that sign than bikes...

· Registered
24 Posts
I hope you know that that is total B.S.. He can give you a ticket, arrest you or give you a warning. No cop with any sense (we are talking Dallas, so that isn't a given) is going to arrest you for a traffic violation because there is too much time and paperwork involved. He might do it if you flunk the attitude test, however.
This is not Nazi Germany. There is no law requiring you to carry an ID, yet. The problem is that a cop who can't prove your identity is not necessarily going to trust your promise to appear that you give when you sign a ticket. But if he takes your wheel he is commiting theft. I wouldn't tell him that, however. See the attitude test above.
If this cop sees a jaywalker, does he confiscate their shoes?

· Have good, get give
964 Posts
Anyone else find it ridiculous the "bridge" they expect people to ride over? I like it that most serious roadies are ignoring it and just using the mockingbird bridge except new and improved with no plastic bumps.

Only problem is that going err Counter-Clockwise the bridge lane is really choppy.

I'm interested what they'll do at the ROS tonight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.