Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was driving me crazy all morning: while pedaling, there was an intermittent "tick tick" that sounded like a derailleur cable hitting against the frame. I isolated each cable individually while riding by pinching it with my hand, but the noise persisted. Any ideas what might be causing the noise? It sounded like it was in the BB area, but nothing is loose that I can see.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Take out your rear quick release put some grease on it and put it back in. This once made a horrible ticking noise for me that sounded like it came from my BB. Good luck

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Pedal Spindles or Bottom Bracket..

You can check the pedals for tightness yourself with the right allen wrench. Bottom bracket is a shop job for most.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
There is no universal source of ticking noises. It could be caused by any number of things. Often the noise seems to come from the BB but turns out to be caused by something else entirely.

Here are common methods to narrow the search. Does it make noise while pedaling only? When standing? Depending on the answers, you can eliminate possible causes.

If the noise continues while coasting then it has nothing to do with your drivetrain. Check skewers, spoke elbows, and nipples. If it stops while standing then it has something to do with your saddle. Lube saddle rails at the points where they attach to the underside of the saddle, lube between saddle rail and seat post clamp, and remove seatpost and reinstall with lube (depending on frame and post material).

Any two parts that come in contact with one another can be a source of a creak. They do not need to be moving parts either. The smallest amount of movement or flex can produce some ear-piercing creaks. The following is a short list of items to check when searching for sources of noises:
-BB in frame
-BB spindle/chank arm
-chainring bolts
-pedal threads
-pedal cleats
-stem faceplate bolts
-wheel skewers
-Spoke elbows
-saddle rails
-cable boss/housing ferrules

Good Luck!!! ;)

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Front...

I say check the front derailler cable and see if it is hitting the crank arm when you pedal through. If so, bend it out of the way.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Common problem in the spring. That sound is from a weird device called a "freehub". You might remember it from last year. Don't be afraid, it won't hurt you too much :)

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Does it correspond to cadence? (which would suggest pedals or BB)

or

Does it correspond to speed? (which could be the hub)

Does it correspond to pavement conditions? (which might suggest stem, seatpost, fork)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it fixed...

it was a loose cleat on my left shoe. Thanks for all the tips. And it wasn't the hub, although the new one is pretty noisy when coasting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts