Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's going to brave the rain and ride the Tierra Bella this year?

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm signed up - but if it rains, I'll pass. Weather.com indicates only a 10% chance of rain last time I looked...

·
Anti-bling
274 Posts
snapdragen said:
Are they likely to accept any walk up registrations on Saturday morning? I'm sure there will be a lot of registered riders who won't show up.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Number9 said:
I'm signed up - but if it rains, I'll pass. Weather.com indicates only a 10% chance of rain last time I looked...
National Weather Service says 30% chance of rain, but very little accumulation. It will probably just be scattered showers and passing thunder showers.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
snapdragen said:
It's not the rain you need to worry about at the Tierra Bella, it's the wind. The 20 mile headwind section from Gilroy to Metcalf could be pretty nasty with a storm coming in. I checked the weather and it says winds S at 10 to 20 mph, which, if true, could be a nice tailwind.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
mohair_chair said:
It's not the rain you need to worry about at the Tierra Bella, it's the wind. The 20 mile headwind section from Gilroy to Metcalf could be pretty nasty with a storm coming in. I checked the weather and it says winds S at 10 to 20 mph, which, if true, could be a nice tailwind.
Tailwind in the morning = headwind in the afternoon.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No - website says no day of registration. You've gotta be quicker padre! :D

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be working at the Coyote Creek rest stop. I shall wear a disguise, I'll look like J's.....

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I'm in, rain or shine.

Coyote Creek stop, eh? I'll just have to take pics of all the women just to be sure - and then post them here. Don't spit in the Gatoraid.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
One would have thought...

that the ACTC would have you working in the Gavilan College cafeteria - maybe even in charge. A waste of talent if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The Saturday weather forecast is starting to look not too bad. 30% chance of rain before 8am, 20% between 8am and 2pm. Scattered showers with little accumulation.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
robwh9 said:
that the ACTC would have you working in the Gavilan College cafeteria - maybe even in charge. A waste of talent if you ask me.
Well, I did whip up 6 loaves of nut bread.......:D

·
Registered
450 Posts
Between the wind and potential rain, I've decided to opt out - going to hit the velodrome at Hellyer Park instead. Hope you all have fun and please post some pix! I did this ride last year and while scenic, the wind was just miserable...

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
What a gorgous day! Number9 I hope you changed your mind, the sun was out, lovely puffy white clouds - perfect! We had 602 riders come by our stop - all doing either 100 miles or 120 k. A few shots from Coyote Creek Rest Stop. We had hula hoops for those who dared, tons of food, and a spectacular water fall.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
It was excellent. The wind wasn't bad-- a tailwind on the way north to Metcalf, but the headwind on the way back south was not all that bad. They changed the route a bit, throwing in Willow Springs the easy way, one of my favorite little climbs, and Llagas to get back to Oak Glen. Since I'm allergic to tree nuts I didn't get to sample Snapdragen's nut bread but there was some tasty banana bread at that stop.

·
Anti-bling
274 Posts
snapdragen said:
What a gorgous day! Number9 I hope you changed your mind, the sun was out, lovely puffy white clouds - perfect! We had 602 riders come by our stop - all doing either 100 miles or 120 k. A few shots from Coyote Creek Rest Stop. We had hula hoops for those who dared, tons of food, and a spectacular water fall.
Hey Snap, where exactly is that waterfall? I thought I had ridden all of that route at various times but I don't remember a waterfall like that.
Thanks, (& blessings).

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you cross the footpath bridge at Anderson Lake Park on Malaguerra Ave., and follow the trail around (or just go across the very muddy lawn) you'll see it. I don't think it's visible from the road.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
It was a nice day for a ride.

I've been lucky this year on big ride weather, and the Tierra Bella was no exception. Very well run, good food, and a nice course - except there were about 500 stop signs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts