Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up for anyone wanting to avoid the $150 hit on Oakleys. I've had a couple pairs of Tifosi's now and they're just awesome -esp. for the roughly $60 price tag. I used to work for Lenscrafters in the lab making glasses, and I haven't seen optics this good for this price ever. Contrast is great - color accuity on the grey lenses is very good (colored lenses obviously skews that but gives you differnet/more advantageous contrast in certain conditions), and they have an AR(sorry AR = anti-reflective) coating which I haven't noticed in sub $100 sunglasses before. The optical center of the lens is decentered which is nice but not sure if its necessary for a plano curved (non-perscription) lens.

I know I sound like an ad but geez, they're really good and darned affordable. Its worth lauding.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I second the good vibes on Tifosi optics. Bought a new pair two weeks ago. My others I dropped and subsequently ran over. The frames survived, but the lenses did not. Plus, they had scratched decently from three years of riding and being rough on them. I had the Tyrant model.

Just bough the Q3, or Q4, can't remember which, but I like them already. And get this: 4 sets of lenses! Dark, clear, amber, and yellow! Very happy with that.

·
Looking for my Amish Love
907 Posts
Yep I purchased a pair of Tifosi Slips with interchangeable lenses for $30. I have broken 3 pairs of smiths, over the past three years and I've thus given up on the Smiths at $65 a pair. Hope the Tifosi last longer, at least the price is better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
+1 on the Tifosi's. I got mine at the LBS a couple of months ago. They're great. The yellow tinted lens is great for early morning and overcast days. The clear lenses are great for group rides. I like that they stay put on your face too. Definitely worth the $50 I paid.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got the new Pave's. They have a lens available that changes according to light conditions now. I got the standard grey ones - the only problem with the others is I'm not sure they'll work in the car. I think UV light is required to trigger the change and a car's windsheild blocks a lot/most of the UV. My girlfriends perscription glasses with changing lenses wouldn't change in the car. Still, might be usefull on a bike on days when the light goes from cloudy to clear, ect....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.