Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some general tightening specs for the interface stem/handlebar ?
- 4-bolt and 2-bolt
- carbon bar or al bar (I wouldn't expect to be any difference in the tightening specs)
- oversized or regular.

Thanks - and please no 'read the instructions for your stem, it is written there'. I'm sure there are general specs and that the main difference is 4-bolt vs. 2-bolt. I don't need either 'ask your LBS, they will know' -> in fact no, they never know that kind of thing.

Thanks,

Pierre

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Pierre said:
What are some general tightening specs for the interface stem/handlebar ?
- 4-bolt and 2-bolt
- carbon bar or al bar (I wouldn't expect to be any difference in the tightening specs)
- oversized or regular.

Thanks - and please no 'read the instructions for your stem, it is written there'. I'm sure there are general specs and that the main difference is 4-bolt vs. 2-bolt. I don't need either 'ask your LBS, they will know' -> in fact no, they never know that kind of thing.

Thanks,

Pierre
You have a problem looking up the specs on line? They might be manufacturer dependent....most likely case....or fastener dependent. The bolts on my 4 bolt Ritchey WCS stem only torque to 5nm. The bolts, however, will have a higher torque if you look 'em up in a fastener torque table. Guess what? the 2 steerer clamp bolts on the same stem have a max torque of 5nm. So there goes your theory on 2 bolts vs. 4.

If you want the bolts torqued to spec, then you have to find out what the spec is. It's not hard to do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts