Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what the deal is, but with colder weather arriving, I've grabbed a pair of PI Elite bib tights. They fit fine. They have elasticized knees for added comfort. But after yesterday's ride my knees are sore from the fabric stretched over them for so long. This used to happen during my MTB days when I wore the long baggy shorts; if the fabric came down over my knees, my knees would inevitably become sore.

Anyone else experience this?

·
Deliciously Ironic
1,006 Posts
Not uncommon

I tend to hear this from friends (male or female) who have long legs. As if the kneecap is pressed against?
The windproof fabrics across the knee don't seem to stretch enough.
You could try pulling up the leg a little to puff out the area around the knee; or try a different brand without the windproof material across the patella

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Are you guys talking about skin level sorness or abbrasions? Because stretch fabric cannot possibly be so tight as to cause internal knee problem!

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you guys talking about skin level sorness or abbrasions? Because stretch fabric cannot possibly be so tight as to cause internal knee problem!
It's just a soreness on the top of the knee; when the knee is bent and turning the cranks, the material must get tighter in that area. Over time that pressure leads to the soreness. I took a day off today, and I know that if I went out I'd probably have to cut the ride short because of it.

Pisses me off. But I'm not going out in winter riding in shorts.

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
I'm guessing skin abrasion... there's not much tissue on top of a kneecap to get bruised!

Try kneewarmers? They are a bit easier to get the tightness just right, since you can easily adjust the top and bottom hems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kneecap tracking

Wouldn't it be possible for the tights to pull the kneecap slightly off track with each pedal revolution?
That’s why I searched this forum. I have never had knee pain from cycling. Just went out a couple of weeks ago in a brand new pair of tights - which are the tightest that I’ve ever had (almost compression-like). Reading some cycling injury books there was a mention of the fact that, unlike a lot of other joints, the knee really likes to operate in one plane. Due to rolling of the foot on each pedal stroke the shin bone also rotates slightly out-of-plane. Because of this non-planer option the knee-cap does not track perfectly in plane and moves laterally a bit on each stroke. One of the books, made a casual mention of the fact that clothing can contribute to overuse injuries. So, I am wondering whether these tight tights either impeded my kneecap from moving laterally or perhaps caused it to twist (move laterally in an unnatural way) and strained tendons on the outside of both knees (in the area of the I.T. band). I thought that it’d be worth checking here to see whether anyone else experienced outside knee pain from tights either impeding or twisting parts of the knee joint.

I’ve also been jogging intermittently when walking the dog (maybe jogging for 30s or so until she stops to sniff something - and then walking for 30s or so and repeating this cycle for 15-20m) but I’ve been doing this for about 8 months.

Been working on some gluteus medius loosening and strengthening exercises and stretches for a couple of weeks (per the book’s I.T. band syndrome recommendations).

i had read about the possible overuse injuries contributed to by clothing and it later dawned on me that the last ride I did before the pain was the first and only time that I had worn the new tight tights.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have arthritis under my kneecaps and cannot wear tights or knee warmers at all. The pressure pushing the kneecap down against the knee causes soreness.

My PT suggested a slide-on knee brace (support?) that has a hole in the kneecap area to reduce the pressure.

I've not found one yet that has a large enough hole in to accommodate my (apparently large?) knee caps.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
That’s why I searched this forum. I have never had knee pain from cycling. Just went out a couple of weeks ago in a brand new pair of tights - which are the tightest that I’ve ever had (almost compression-like). Reading some cycling injury books there was a mention of the fact that, unlike a lot of other joints, the knee really likes to operate in one plane. Due to rolling of the foot on each pedal stroke the shin bone also rotates slightly out-of-plane. Because of this non-planer option the knee-cap does not track perfectly in plane and moves laterally a bit on each stroke. One of the books, made a casual mention of the fact that clothing can contribute to overuse injuries. So, I am wondering whether these tight tights either impeded my kneecap from moving laterally or perhaps caused it to twist (move laterally in an unnatural way) and strained tendons on the outside of both knees (in the area of the I.T. band). I thought that it’d be worth checking here to see whether anyone else experienced outside knee pain from tights either impeding or twisting parts of the knee joint.

I’ve also been jogging intermittently when walking the dog (maybe jogging for 30s or so until she stops to sniff something - and then walking for 30s or so and repeating this cycle for 15-20m) but I’ve been doing this for about 8 months.

Been working on some gluteus medius loosening and strengthening exercises and stretches for a couple of weeks (per the book’s I.T. band syndrome recommendations).

i had read about the possible overuse injuries contributed to by clothing and it later dawned on me that the last ride I did before the pain was the first and only time that I had worn the new tight tights.
So many variables at play here there is no way to get a handle on a cause. Get rid of all of them and ride. Use normal half thigh tights. Stop jogging. Give up on the IT band, for now. Get everything back to your old pain free routine. Exactly. It’s like food sensitivity... You draw everything in and get things as simple as you can so you can manage the variables to the best extent possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
So, I am wondering whether these tight tights either impeded my kneecap from moving laterally or perhaps caused it to twist (move laterally in an unnatural way) and strained tendons on the outside of both knees (in the area of the I.T. band). I thought that it’d be worth checking here to see whether anyone else experienced outside knee pain from tights either impeding or twisting parts of the knee joint.

I run and cycle, and while I am not a doctor (and you should def consult yours), your knee pain isn't causing your IT issues, your IT issues are causing your knee pain. I am guessing your recent jogging has aggravated your IT band. The torsional stress of a tight IT band will tear your knee apart. They are connected to the outside of your knee but run the whole length of your thigh. You need to spend significant amounts of time on a foam roller to relieve that tightness. Every time I get a niggle in my knee it is due to a tight IT band. Look up YouTube videos of foam rolling the IT band, it is important you roll it properly and not exceed the correct area (keep the roller above the knee and below the hip).

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,153 Posts
Do u adjust saddle height with winter clothes? I know riders that are sensitive to position and adjust saddle height down a bit to compensate for thicker winter wear.
RQ
Tights aren't thick enough to justify saddle re-adjustment. However, I definitely need to bring the saddle up when I use my winter bike shoes as they have a thicker sole.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,153 Posts
I am talking non-padded tights and shorts underneath
U must NOT be as sensitive to fit as other riders.
Yes, that is the way I wear tights - on top of regular bike shorts, no padding in tights. Without extra padding, there isn't enough extra fabric to feel a different saddle height.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts