Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/hemlock-backpack

I'm thinking of getting a Hemlock for college.

I'll be using it to hold books and such for classes, but also for holding groceries when I go between my apartment and the store. I've read some good stuff about the bag but was wondering if the roll-top would be annoying to deal with in class. (Having to roll it up all the time in class and such.)

What do you think? Have you had any experience with this bag? Would you recommend it?

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
how many books are you gonna be carrying? that thing looks pretty large.

when i was in college i mostly used a backpack with a top drawstring and leather flap. it worked well for holding a days worth of books. i only rode a few miles, but it never got too hot. i also wasnt using a computer or to haul groceries.

however, a few years ago i got a cheap eddie bauer messanger bag for $4 at target. it was a standard size, if not a bit small. i was able to get three two liters in it when i had to make a run to walgreens. i have also used it for groceries here and there.

one thing to consider is getting a rack and some easily-removed bags. racks make most bikes look ugly and add a bit more theft deterrent.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Textbooks and/or groceries?

I won't use anything that doesn't have a waistbelt and chest harness for such heavy lifting anymore. Those two items make a huge difference in carry-ability and weight distribution.

In fact I don't own a pack without a waistbelt anymore and my messenger bag only gets used if it's just the laptop, or some miscellaneous errands.

The backpack I typically use for groceries even has a frame. O so very much nicer (and not any more expensive than that Timbuk if you catch one on sale).

If comfort and support for your back are important to you then you need to look elsewhere for the load types you are describing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts